Set 12 War Heroes a Flop?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Set 12 War Heroes a Flop?

Postby shadowsketch » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I think Set 12 is not selling as well since the cards themselves are more support cards rather than cards that can be used to make a deck foundation. So for example, the spellshaper Falkow cards (Teleport unit, Gigantic Illusion unit, Sunbeam Cage unit) -- you don't want to start with them as a foundation, but once you get a basic file going, you can add them for utility. In addition, the tribes predominantly present in 12 have issues -- Merc Nation needs SP, field presence, and sphere levels, and all of those together are just hard to get consistently. Duchy's good, so there's hope there -- problem here is that the cards are split throughout different sets so it's an accessibility issue.
shadowsketch

Postby hexagram » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:11 pm

I remember set 11 a whole competitive file was in the set -augments

I guess this kind of applies to set 12 with tcg and duchy of crest but not as much so.

edit Haven't looked at the set fully so may be wrong. Thanks for pointing that out aoi
Last edited by hexagram on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby Aoi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Actually I think the wizard kingdom cards make a viable deck together in set 12, Combat sorcerer, Mirellia, Mage Knight Vanguard and Flying soldier girl for pinpointing what you want to kill.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby Callonia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Aoi wrote:Actually I think the wizard kingdom cards make a viable deck together in set 12, Combat sorcerer, Mirellia, Mage Knight Vanguard and Flying soldier girl for pinpointing what you want to kill.

Wizard Kingdom is always viable no matter what, that's why some people hate them so much.
Callonia

Postby Icyman2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:01 pm

they need elite fencer to be viable
anyways, the problem has been said. the factions that they gave boosts to this set needs ex cards and cards from other sets to be competitive. that's shooting yourself in the foot.
Icyman2

Postby hexagram » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:15 pm

seems very reasonable considering it is just 1 set out of 12

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

hexagram

Postby Callonia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Not a flop at all, lets just say, I understand how to play gunner girl/yuni now XD Its so easy lol.
Callonia

Postby hexagram » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:36 pm

I agree with callonia not a flop I suggest ropey change the title of this thread.

hexagram

Postby Logress » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm

As you may have imagined, I spend some time analyzing how sets sell. No matter what, inserting enough of a new set into the card pool that the playerbase at large starts finding good places for them takes time. Generally, this is only accelerated by injecting a lot of cards into the system. In the past, there has been a pretty basic pattern -- if the set has a lot of OP or at-first-glance-OP cards, a lot of people buy trying to get those cards and end up with all the others along the way. Since they have them, they start using them, and then others follow suit. The best way to ensure this is to lean some cards, probably rares, toward possible OP-ness. Not that I'm speaking for Japan, but you can see there are has always been a little bit of that going on during the MB days, when they were making the cards mostly themselves. The GP Sets, 10 and 11 (what about set 9? ER... yeah... don't worry about that one, it's almost always a bad example) were mostly designed by myself and the testers, but GP had its round of tweaks and comments, which were generally "are you sure this card is strong enough?"

Part of us at Apocoplay and the testing team wanting to make Set 12 our own was to NOT do this. Sort of set the stage for moar balance, less dirty tricks. Worry more about whether these cards will stand the test of time, add to the game experience as a whole, and be fun rather than make an initial splash and blow everything else away. This is probably the Card Set the Japanese had the least input on. At the same time, it borrows the most skills from the Japanese set. In other words, we more followed what they did and less what they said. One exception was that we weren't able to make many self suffcient decks in this one set like we did in 11 (although I think WK, maybe LV 4 WK is pretty close). We tried to squeeze a Crest AT buffer in but every time we did we made Lawt worse overall.

As expected, sales were slower. If you look at the sales rank of each set and the balanced status of each set, they pretty much line up in reverse order. Now we'll have to wait and see about the "stand the test of time" part.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Romdeau » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm

As a designer I find it really disappointing that , the players choose to reward the company financially when blatantly OP cards are released in a set instead of a well balanced one.
Romdeau

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion