WHY NO MORE PREBUILTS?

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: WHY NO MORE PREBUILTS?

Postby Logress » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

We will probably do one more set of prebuilts at some point, although I warn you the Gowen one will probably be Orks, so be careful what you wish for. Prebuilts are good for the game and Folrart diversity but yes, we've never really made money on them. Obviously the 500 gran thing, so we probably can't do that again. The hardcore grinders can usually grind even for the full price versions, according to my records. Before prebuilts hard-core grinders would usually eventually buy a little gran after a few months. Once a little gran was bought, a decent number of those who did so would become regular or semi-regular spenders. Prebuilts basically stopped that process. I think MMan has some contacts at FF games, I'd like to talk to them about that. Basically, if you line up our sales/card items from most random to least random, it would pretty much match exactly best sales to worst sales, AND most individual participants to least (meaning more random = better sales and more individuals buying). This has been consistent from times to high numbers of players and low numbers of players, and high numbers of new players to low number of new players. If it wasn't, I'd literally sit down and make a shop entry for every card this weekend -- I have no particular love for the current system.
The big selling point for a marketplace type addition for me would be the option to effectively have non-random sales and break away from the current model, even though I admit I am not a personal fan of infusing in-game capitalism into a game unnecessarily.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Scientiafide » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 pm

I think the main reason why prebuilts don't make as much money is due to the fact the game has a small playerbase consisting of players who are willing to spend a lot (or grind a lot). These are the types of players who, regardless of your economic model, will probably spend a lot anyway simply because they love the game and want to collect and try out as many cards as possible. If the game and playerbase are to grow, eventually the game will have to switch out of this model.

Using the FF LCGs as an example, look at the Game of thrones LCG. Here's a link to the core set product:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... =2&esum=71

In some locations you can buy it for cheaper (I've seen some locations sell it for $30). But anyway, when you buy the core set, you get 200 physical cards, and a lot of other physical components, but most importantly it's the same exact cards every time. You know what you're getting. The expansions (their equivalent of booster cards) usually cost $15, and you get the same 60 physical cards every time. No randomization whatsoever. Whatever you buy is also guaranteed to be immediately playable in a competitive fashion.

If I were to buy, say, an EX box for alteil, I'd be getting 60 predetermined digital cards for $50. The new half boxes in the shop give you 1 guaranteed card and 30 random cards for $10 (all digital). Throw in the fact that there's a lot of card chasing and rare chasing involved, and there's no doubt that in the minds of most gamers alteil is quite over priced. In terms of value, alteil compares very poorly to the rest of the market.

I understand not switching models at this moment, since the game will suffer economically. It's not as simple as, "switch models, and watch new gamers flock to your game." But new players trying out the game will leave due to the price alone (there are also other reasons new players are leaving this game, but the price is a big one).

Hence why I think the best course of action is to fix a lot of the other problems plaguing the game (to make the game more presentable), and then launch an ad campaign right after a new and improved economic model is introduced.

Scientiafide

Postby InfamousMitsuhide » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I really doubt people will stop buying other products when they buy pre-builts. And I really don't believe the change is significant enough to cause loss. I know most people buy prebuilts because they're complete, but you cant rule out packs from the equation. people will still buy packs to try out things not in prebuilts. Grinding with prebuilts over and over isnt exactly quality entertainment, so I'm sure people will purchase more things other than prebuilts.

The problem was the prebuilts were sold at a ridiculously low price... someone can just recycle a 2 5*s and get a complete competitive deck. In my opinion, prebuilts should remain at 1500 or even more. I dun't know why things like random half-boxes cost 1000gran when a complete deck is available for 500 gran on first release.
InfamousMitsuhide

Postby InfamousMitsuhide » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 pm

btw can we have tgc for the refess prebuilt? Gilensa is a pain in the arse to get
InfamousMitsuhide

Postby Icyman2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:46 pm

99% sure tgc will remain rich mans file
Icyman2

Postby InfamousMitsuhide » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

shhh dont jynx it
InfamousMitsuhide

Postby harvest4god » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Now I am curious, what files would you like to see? One for each sphere, 3* or less only allowed.
harvest4god

Postby Icyglare » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm

InfamousMitsuhide wrote:I really doubt people will stop buying other products when they buy pre-builts. And I really don't believe the change is significant enough to cause loss. I know most people buy prebuilts because they're complete, but you cant rule out packs from the equation. people will still buy packs to try out things not in prebuilts. Grinding with prebuilts over and over isnt exactly quality entertainment, so I'm sure people will purchase more things other than prebuilts.

And what do you have to prove that people won't stop buying other products? Even I knew regular sales would go down and it seems those pre-builts benefited the usual customers instead of the new ones and the Revenue Numbers that Logress has proved that. Obviously if it was better for Alteil all-around then he would keep doing it.
Last edited by Icyglare on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby InfamousMitsuhide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:40 am

harvest4god wrote:Now I am curious, what files would you like to see? One for each sphere, 3* or less only allowed.

refess - tgc
lawtia - Crest
Gowen - Orks
Falkow - idk... whatever
InfamousMitsuhide

Postby idol » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 am

So... How about new faction packs with little chance to get EX
U know you can even have faction packs to serve as expansion packs to old prebuilts
Ah... Everything's about MONEY, now that makes much more sense...
idol

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau