Sprint #5 2/15 to 3/1

Official News and Announcements

Sprint #5 2/15 to 3/1

Postby MysteryMan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Sprint #5 starts today and ends March 1st.

Based on older sprints we are now moving to a new model.

The major changes are as follows
- All sprints are now 2 week sprints
- When one sprint ends the next sprint immediately begins
- We'll have a lot smaller tasks to deliver and less of them, but you should see more rapid turnaround of user facing items
- We are no longer using Trello. It was great when we started but now we have much larger needs as the team increases. We are now using Telerik Team Pulse. It's a bit more complicated to get used to but much more powerful. We'll be able to give you much more accurate predictions and details. If something slips we will be able to look at a complete history and figure out what happened and why.

I'm still hammering away requirements, details, acceptance criteria, and the so on like a madman but expect the detailed requirements to be posted shortly.

-----------

Update 1:

Chat will be live on the first. How much will get done is determined by how things go, but the update will happen then
Underdog will be using the new achievement engine by the first and back online. How much else is done with the achievement engine will be determined by the end of the sprint.
The new updates will be public facing on the first. How detailed the pages are will be determined by the end of the sprint.
We will work on errata. This will continue throughout many sprints.
We will go about the first step of the auction house - the gran/fight money divide
We will track everything in team pulse

Is this list grandiose? No. But it's achievable. The next sprint wills tart as soon as this one is done.
MysteryMan

Re: Sprint #5 2/15 to 3/1

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 am

MysteryMan wrote:Sprint #5 starts today and ends March 1st.

- We'll have a lot smaller tasks to deliver and less of them, but you should see more rapid turnaround of user facing items
- We are no longer using Trello. It was great when we started but now we have much larger needs as the team increases. We are now using Telerik Team Pulse. It's a bit more complicated to get used to but much more powerful. We'll be able to give you much more accurate predictions and details. If something slips we will be able to look at a complete history and figure out what happened and why.

I'm still hammering away requirements, details, acceptance criteria, and the so on like a madman but expect the detailed requirements to be posted shortly.

wtf is the point of this post. You just said that you are starting sprint 5, only to say that the only concrete thing you are doing this sprint is that you are no longer using trello....

Real?

I don't mean to troll you but if you're going to make a post about the next sprint at least say what you plan to do and not just BS like this.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby ZeroX1999 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:22 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:wtf is the point of this post. You just said that you are starting sprint 5, only to say that the only concrete thing you are doing this sprint is that you are no longer using trello....

Real?

I don't mean to troll you but if you're going to make a post about the next sprint at least say what you plan to do and not just BS like this.

I think Gon is a little harsh on the words, but he is right. I don't understand what the point of this post is without the info on what is on the next sprint. The only thing that could be from a sprint is
We are no longer using Trello. It was great when we started but now we have much larger needs as the team increases. We are now using Telerik Team Pulse. It's a bit more complicated to get used to but much more powerful. We'll be able to give you much more accurate predictions and details. If something slips we will be able to look at a complete history and figure out what happened and why.

That is good an all, but what happened to the Auction House, how is the UnderDog because we didn't hear anything about it being fixed or the card list. Those are the biggest concern most of us Alteil player acknowledge.
ZeroX1999

Postby Callonia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 am

MysteryMan wrote:I'm still hammering away requirements, details, acceptance criteria, and the so on like a madman but expect the detailed requirements to be posted shortly.

Do I have to quote this line for first two posters above me?
Callonia

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 am

Callonia wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:I'm still hammering away requirements, details, acceptance criteria, and the so on like a madman but expect the detailed requirements to be posted shortly.

Ya surprised they didn't read that part.

What means "shortly" though? :P

Many people here don't know but there used to be a coming soon that lasted about 5 sets or more and even got canceled without a proper comment on it ever since then.
Is that why the first two posters ignored that last line?
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:Sprint #5 starts today and ends March 1st.

wtf is the point of this post. You just said that you are starting sprint 5, only to say that the only concrete thing you are doing this sprint is that you are no longer using trello....

Real?

No offence taken. This was originally a placeholder in hopes that people would get the granular details of their tasks down so i could show you specifics.

People are still doing that. It's a lot of work but we will have a lot more details when everyone is done, down to a level of granularity that far exceeds previous sprints. I expect a lot of growing pains this sprint and a huge payoff in future sprints.

The big reason for change is twofold. First, i was not happy with the progress with last spritn, even though it seems impressive. Second there well over a dozen people working on various tasks this sprint with more hours than many other sprints combined (despite the fact it's only two weeks total). This requires real management, which has an upfront cost we are still paying.
MysteryMan

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:02 pm

ForgotPassNotWorking wrote:
Callonia wrote:

Ya surprised they didn't read that part.

What means "shortly" though? :P

Many people here don't know but there used to be a coming soon that lasted about 5 sets or more and even got canceled without a proper comment on it ever since then.
Is that why the first two posters ignored that last line?

Right. It's precisely stuff like this that we want the level of exposure a professional system (cost of $3,000, our largest purchase yet) will let us have. It even has an rss feed :)

One of its views is similar to Trello, only a lot more detailed (these can be drilled into many levels deep with acceptance criteria, dependencies, cross team communication, optimistic/probable/pessimistic scoping,etc)

MysteryMan

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Here's a partial summary. This is not a complete list (auction house tasks, facebook management, etc) but it helps with high level stuff.

Everyone:
Learn team pulse, use team pulse

Jeff:
- Create and organize team suite
- Train team on team suite
- Look at overall timeline with sean
- Hire Jim
- Manage Developers and IT
- Manage buisness
- Create basic overall core dll that abstracts complexities of the product for developers
- Communicate with mentors and buisness partners
- Work with sean on overall budget
- Configure google groups scrum list for notes.
- Close out finished contracts

Alex:
- C# training
- Based on Jeff's layout, add functionality to the abstraction layer when needed for other developers
- Work on the achievement engine
- Get Underdog online
- Get achievement engine UI online

Igor D:
- Finish up chat

Andrew:
- Code review developer's code
- Mentor developers as needed
- Approve or reject development submissions

Clark:
- Get zendesk tickets up to date

Romdeau:
- Work on errata

Vadym:
- Use spiceworks-like system to list out equipment
- Continue getting new infrastructure online.
- Manage it personnel

Mark, Viral:
- Get advertisement portal online
- Work with mark to get advertisement portal online

Merideth:
- Manage mark and viral
- Create art assets when needed
- Stop working for more than three hours a day to sleep

Jim:
- Gather lists of contacts for new business
- Develop report
- Get to know the game and our process

Sean:
- Watch our finances and budget
- Work with on Underdog
- Start the fight money/gran conversion process
- Look at overall timeline with jeff
- Work on getting a new set
- Standard maintenance (weekly newsletter, 5 of 7, etc)

Dave:
- Finish reading lean startup
- Read it's not rocket surgery ux design (critical)
- Submit Kickstarter proposal timeline
- Submit draft for new video for mass-challenge
- Get 3 UX testers for end of sprint to test new site and give reactions. We want a minimum of three a week.

Rob, Shana, Paul, Sam, etc (minecraft crew):
- Advertise to get a higher user base
- Create hourly advertisement asking for UX testers for Alteil
- Think of reward system for Minecraft server to get UX testers
MysteryMan

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

ZeroX1999 wrote:
GonFreeces31 wrote:wtf is the point of this post. You just said that you are starting sprint 5, only to say that the only concrete thing you are doing this sprint is that you are no longer using trello....

Real?

I think Gon is a little harsh on the words, but he is right. I don't understand what the point of this post is without the info on what is on the next sprint. The only thing that could be from a sprint is
We are no longer using Trello. It was great when we started but now we have much larger needs as the team increases. We are now using Telerik Team Pulse. It's a bit more complicated to get used to but much more powerful. We'll be able to give you much more accurate predictions and details. If something slips we will be able to look at a complete history and figure out what happened and why.

That is good an all, but what happened to the Auction House, how is the UnderDog because we didn't hear anything about it being fixed or the card list. Those are the biggest concern most of us Alteil player acknowledge.

Short version:
- Underdog resurrection date is march first
- Auction house task for this sprint is to get the fight money and gran prepped.

Underdog, auction-house, chat etc others are now being handled by multiple developers. In order to make that happen we need to abstract the difficult part of the code base into a common layer. This is happening during the current sprint. As one developer abstracts the core, other developers create their own functionality that relies on the core. Multiple developers have access to modify the core to prevent a critical bit of failure.

This is all done in order of priority to deliver tasks within two weeks. The idea is that things may be slow if there isn't time to finish it, but it will work. If the speed is problematic it can be repaired in future sprints if deemed a higher priority, etc.

We are working hard to change to very fast deliverable of very small items for full visibility.

Things will probably be funky this sprint and steady out more each sprint.

Once things are all speced out we can give dashboard charts.
MysteryMan

Postby MysteryMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Project owners (determine if something is done):

Achievements: Sean or Romdeau
Chat: Merideth or Romdeau
Core: Andrew
Portal: Merideth
Kickstater: Dave
MassChallenge App Video: Jeff
UX Testing: Dave

Scrum Masters (remove impediments)