Recommendations for Visual Novels

Video Games

Re: Recommendations for Visual Novels

Postby Ethikx » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 am

Is there a newer version of Rewrite out? I remember trying it out months ago but with a lot of problems.

I'm looking at picking up either Paradise Lost, Shizuku, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, or Forest. Any opinions on these?
Ethikx

Postby Shirozaki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Rewrite was...released not even two months ago? Which is by my definition not exactly a timeframe I'd label as "months ago", unless you're talking about the common route patch, which was missing half the things either way.

I found Forest to be incredibly dull and uninteresting, plus the art looks bland if you have watched Shaft anime like, say, Madoka. Some found it to be "trippy", but it was a bit over the top with its imagery, so it was lacking the subtlety that real headache inducing surreality has. That...and the fact that I'm not into lolis.

Shizuku was...Can you consider Shizuku a classic? I mean, for today's standards it's not all that entertaining, but it was the beginning of Leaf, who grew with each of their releases, so if you're into "retro" (It's not even retro, since it wasn't all that popular) I'd recommend it. Though I'd recommend Kizuato over Shizuku, but it's never been translated to my knowledge.

I was recently reading the Lovecraft Vnovelization, Kara no Shoujo 2 (sequel to kara no shoujo) and Offline Girl, though I'm not having much time due to work.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Jazzock » Sun May 04, 2014 7:19 am

In the past 2 and a half weeks... I just read Muv-Luv (extra and unlimited), Alternative (finally, been meaning to for years)... and Grisaia no Kajitsu.

I read Grisaia first, and it was fairly good, pretty deserving of the hype it's getting. Had quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, a few heartstrings were tugged...and well...some disturbing moments... for me anyway..Only problem is, it's the first in a trilogy (so it's mostly character set-up stuff)...which the rest isn't translated yet so........

Then well, I decided to read Alternative...which means slugging through Extra and Unlimited (both of which kinda gave me Grisaia common-route vibes). But man, Alternative was another beast just on them production values alone. That's not even getting to the story. Definitely deserving of being one of the best translated visual novels available, and a must-read if you're into visual novels. I wouldn't recommend it as a first VN to read though, it's a very long series (and the prequels are fairly required, which bumps the total time to like...70-80+ hours depending on read speed...)

Some tears were shed in the past couple of weeks :?
Self proclaimed user of weirdness, one of the few crazy people to actually use a pure sorceress file...

Jazzock

Postby Romdeau » Sun May 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Once you read alternative, everything else just seems to fall short IMO. Not even kidding, I haven't found the spark for a compelling VN in a very long time since I read it. Certain titles (like Stein's Gate and Sengoku Rance) do hold up for entertainment and/or mystery purposes, but nothing comes even close in terms of drama.
Romdeau

Previous

Return to Catherina's Play Room