Financial Rundown: EX Chromatic Forces

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Financial Rundown: EX Chromatic Forces

Postby gadu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I only bought the Falkow one because of the Boobs. She's stronk for a L2 unit, but their are so many cards to choose from in both mermaid and mage soldier tribes that it just complicates things.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby Quigleaf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:51 pm

tropireno wrote:I was honestly hoping for a cheaper price for these. 45 bucks for the full set of EX cards is still kinda ridiculous.

Allow me to offer some perspective here (excuse me for this wall of text, I promise it's worth it):

You're receiving 24 cards (3x of each card) plus commons. At $45?, each card costs you $2.

Let's say you're a regular Iczer with a 10-hour per week schedule. You'll be experimenting with these cards for about 2 weeks while you do adjustments and try new combos and stuff. That's 20 hours of entertainment for $45, so, per hour, you're paying $2.25. That's less than the hourly minimum wage of any state by the way.

Nothing exists in a vacuum. So, let's keep this "perspective enhancement" going:

Alteil is a CCG (with no trade aspect so far). There are thousands of other CCG's and TCG's. The more popular of them are M:tG and YGO. (Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh!, respectively).

Current popular, competitive decks for M:tG in any format (since they have multiple tournament formats to choose from) are in the $300-$500 pricetag, sometimes going even to the thousands, specially in older formats like Legacy and Vintage. Right now, the most expensive card of the most popular format (Standard) is worth $40: Liliana of the Veil. Thanks God not all decks use her, but in decks that do, she is usually found as a 3x (three copies, that is).
There are several other cards with close pricetags which are used as 3x and 4x in several deck types: Boros Reckoner ($25), Geist of Saint Traft ($30), Thundermaw Hellkite ($35).

If you leave Standard, and go for older formats, prices can get quickly out of hand: there's a card called Tarmogoyf that is worth $130, even after they announced they are going to reprint it this summer. And that's a card that was in print less 6 years ago (May 2007). There's a batch of pre-2000 cards that are valued in the hundreds, and commonly see play as 4x in ALL deck archetypes legal on the format: the dual lands.

Of course there's more to M:tG to simply play and have fun, but that's another discussion entirely.

YGO? That game used to have legal cards worth easily $200 like Dark Armed Dragon, Judgment Dragon and similar cards. Of course, YGO usually reprints popular, powerful stuff in common and rare versions that are worthless when compared to their Ultra Rare versions. You will still find competitive staples of the game going for $30 or $40 easily, like Number 11: Big Eye or 1st edition Zenmaines.

In both cases, you're looking at potential $400+ investments for full decks. Since both games use 40 or 60 cards (instead of Alteil's 25), let's settle for half that value: $200.

Getting a competitive deck here in Alteil is cheaper, without a doubt. With about $50 you can get yourself enough cards to build a few decks that can be competitive, like Undead or Monsters or WK Rush.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what kind of use you get from your cards. If you're an occasional Iczer that plays 2-3 matches per day you should be looking at other kinds of products, like pre-builts: those let you play right out of the "box" without adjustments and issues of any kind.

This EX release is certainly not for the casual crowd.

(That said, I do believe the benefits of purchasing a Full Box should outweight the current 100G of savings).
There's way too much variety to get from pulls. You get used to it. I… I don't even see the names. All I see is 5 gran, 30 gran, 10 gran.
Hey, you, uh… wanna play?
Quigleaf

Postby Khiruki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Box buyers should get Maggie Avatars.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby gadu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Khiruki wrote:Box buyers should get Maggie Avatars.

Wouldn't you prefer Seasonal Marchare mounted on a llama?
gadu

Postby Aoi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm

+1 Seasonal Marchare avatar with or without the addes llama pet.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby Khiruki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:29 pm

gadu wrote:

...Seasonal Marchare isn't wearing pants.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby gadu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Khiruki wrote:
gadu wrote:

That's what makes it fun. Haven't you read those horse sex fantasy books?
gadu

Postby Callonia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Khiruki wrote:
gadu wrote:

My avatar isn't even wearing pants, get on with the times khiruki.
Callonia

Postby angelspawns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Hah, I myself am not wearing pants. Top that! :ugeek:
angelspawns

Postby Callonia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 pm

angelspawns wrote:Hah, I myself am not wearing pants. Top that! :ugeek:

Shorts don't count.
Callonia

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion