Community tournaments dead

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Community tournaments dead

Postby WhiteDragon2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Most community tournaments get cancelled due to not having enough participants, and noone bothers adding up new ones recently (probably because of this vary reason). As community tournaments are dead, can we please have some official tournaments like the good old days? Official tournaments tend to be the most fun event alteil has in my opinion and it's a shame we haven't had one in a long time now.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
WhiteDragon2

Re: Community tournaments dead

Postby Scientiafide » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

It also doesn't help when they decide to cancel a tournament only a few days after it's proposed for BS reasons :3 (despite a few people signing up).

Personally, I'm all for official tournaments. I'm looking forward to the day when Alteil has a lot more players, more match types, and just more ways to play.

Scientiafide

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Cause they set it up really poorly. You had a bunch of random players posting a random assortment of tourneys. Of course that won't work. If they just had one featured tourney every two weeks it might have succeeded as an idea.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby fargone » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Relying on the community to do your job is often fraught with dangers.

Most often, they will simply do a half-assed job, and they don't have any attachment to the outcomes.

I know that UR has a successful community event thing going, but they actually put a lot of work into setting it up - including an user interface to literally program the event into the server. They are not just a matter of "everyone come and play on this day, we have made up some rules. We are relying on your honesty and our own ability to track and record wins/losses. etc."

If you really want the community to run these things, then set up parameters for them to do so. If they want to ban anything over level 4 units, then let them do that mechanically within the system, don't expect everyone to work off an honesty system.

Ultimately, if you are going to do something do it properly the first time. Otherwise, you do nothing to improve your site, your goodwill, or your customer satisfaction. I think those three things really should be your priority.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby caeser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

WhiteDragon2 wrote:...can we please have some official tournaments like the good old days? Official tournaments tend to be the most fun event alteil has in my opinion and it's a shame we haven't had one in a long time now.

^^ This
caeser

Postby Icyglare » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Day 1: Tournament time, you can only use Gowen cards
Day 2: Banned Cards: Bringer, Shin, Fire Arrow, +3 Gowen Sphere SS's
Day 5: Oh that's a good idea, I should let Shin back in but Archer Scout is banned
Day 7: Actually you can multi-sphere but only 2 more in another sphere
Day 14: I forgot my friend's birthday is this Saturday, I'm postponing this for one more week
Day 21: HEY!!! Nobody is paying attention to me anymore!
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby Romdeau » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 am

This program was created because the 'official' tournament system is broken, and would take too much time to repair. The CTP is a temporary fix.
Romdeau

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:03 am

....Is there anything in the game that does work right now?
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 am

fargone wrote:Relying on the community to do your job is often fraught with dangers.

Most often, they will simply do a half-assed job, and they don't have any attachment to the outcomes.

I know that UR has a successful community event thing going, but they actually put a lot of work into setting it up - including an user interface to literally program the event into the server. They are not just a matter of "everyone come and play on this day, we have made up some rules. We are relying on your honesty and our own ability to track and record wins/losses. etc."

If you really want the community to run these things, then set up parameters for them to do so. If they want to ban anything over level 4 units, then let them do that mechanically within the system, don't expect everyone to work off an honesty system.

Ultimately, if you are going to do something do it properly the first time. Otherwise, you do nothing to improve your site, your goodwill, or your customer satisfaction. I think those three things really should be your priority.

The regulations for community tournaments these days stink compared to what they used to be.

You were able to run the tourney with whatever people showed up. Now they're asking for something mechanically done.
Fixed number of players. Have someone to cover. You need organizer level to be allowed special formats.

I didn't get any reply if i am allowed to host special formats, i did host a lot of tourneys ...
Well i was told i need to stick to the fixed number of players rule, which IMO is wrong if you are going to host the tourney in training arena without any special interface where you can AT LEAST see who's online!

And without a viable game there can't be a viable tourney.
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby Romdeau » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 am

Shirozaki wrote:....Is there anything in the game that does work right now?

Gamepot screwed up a lot of things for Alteil before the transfer.
Romdeau

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion