suggestion for future grind events

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: suggestion for future grind events

Postby fargone » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Logress wrote:Keep in mind JP had a grinding event every month, and usually had NO CAP on the point cards (unless I begged them to put one) or a prize with an insane requirement, making it a super-grind. However, look at the numbers of folrart, and logins and interest in general over the last month and then this week, I would say that interest in collecting events from the Alteil playerbase as a whole is high.

It seems you have missed one vital point here that has plagued Alteil US since it's inception. It really concerns me that after 5 years, you are still missing this one, vitally important thing: THIS IS NOT JAPAN. Stop trying to be Alteil JP, you don't have the same audience, work ethic, or staffing. Listen to your people, I know they don't always know what they want, but, when you hear them all saying the same thing, then you need to hear it.

Grinding event are most popular according to your statistics. Grinding events are a real grind (not a good thing) for those who voice their thoughts. Why then are they so popular? Is it that you are offering increased rewards for playing? The prizes offered? Perhaps you need to find what aspects are working, which are not, and do something else? That does not mean wait for JP to do something then copy it, that means get creative, try different things - if you keep doing what you have done, you will keep getting what you have had.

Honestly, if you have no intention of improving what was already there, then you are wasting your time. Stop thinking JP has the winning formula for US. Fix the costs, most of the world is NOT wealthy like Japan. Make some changes to the events or create new ones. (I don't think limiting the reward cards on grinds is the answer, but then, I don't think grinding is the answer for any game, ever.) The quality of your clients experience should be your focus. Perhaps you need to set the site up so you have more control over events and thus allow for more creativity, I don't know. But more creativity IS required.

Start targetting feedback by asking questions like, "what do you think was the best part of this event" "what was the worst" "If you could change one aspect of this event, what would it be?". Asking questions like this will lead you the answers you should be seeking. Think about the answers honestly and wholistically.

For example: If everyone says they would change the number or availability of grind reward cards for collecting, then there is a good chance the event forced people to play more games than they actually wanted to. That should lead you to the conclusion that perhaps shorter events would be better? It should certainly alarm you to the fact you are forcing your players to "burn out" on your game (play too much get sick of it, move on) - SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT NOTICED FOR YEARS. (set 6 had heaps of grinding events which left us with a small player base - do the research, act on it).

One day, someone somewhere will thank me for my suggestions.

Until then, have a nice day.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby angelspawns » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I'd like to read better event suggestions from everybody. Perhaps if we all come up with improvements and ideas we can find something that works for most people. (although i think batora NPC comes pretty close... we could elaborate on that?)
And I agree with Fargones aproach to take surveys to find what works for the majority.

A full arena is always enjoyable and i have a good time. For me this is a good event, but perhaps only because i'm not forcing myself to collect in it. I quickly decided to give up on the long grind for the avatar and instead enjoy the few (and quickly found) battles in Folrart this week.
angelspawns

Postby Scientiafide » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 am

fargone wrote:
Logress wrote:Keep in mind JP had a grinding event every month, and usually had NO CAP on the point cards (unless I begged them to put one) or a prize with an insane requirement, making it a super-grind. However, look at the numbers of folrart, and logins and interest in general over the last month and then this week, I would say that interest in collecting events from the Alteil playerbase as a whole is high.

It seems you have missed one vital point here that has plagued Alteil US since it's inception. It really concerns me that after 5 years, you are still missing this one, vitally important thing: THIS IS NOT JAPAN. Stop trying to be Alteil JP, you don't have the same audience, work ethic, or staffing. Listen to your people, I know they don't always know what they want, but, when you hear them all saying the same thing, then you need to hear it.

Grinding event are most popular according to your statistics. Grinding events are a real grind (not a good thing) for those who voice their thoughts. Why then are they so popular? Is it that you are offering increased rewards for playing? The prizes offered? Perhaps you need to find what aspects are working, which are not, and do something else? That does not mean wait for JP to do something then copy it, that means get creative, try different things - if you keep doing what you have done, you will keep getting what you have had.

Honestly, if you have no intention of improving what was already there, then you are wasting your time. Stop thinking JP has the winning formula for US. Fix the costs, most of the world is NOT wealthy like Japan. Make some changes to the events or create new ones. (I don't think limiting the reward cards on grinds is the answer, but then, I don't think grinding is the answer for any game, ever.) The quality of your clients experience should be your focus. Perhaps you need to set the site up so you have more control over events and thus allow for more creativity, I don't know. But more creativity IS required.

Start targetting feedback by asking questions like, "what do you think was the best part of this event" "what was the worst" "If you could change one aspect of this event, what would it be?". Asking questions like this will lead you the answers you should be seeking. Think about the answers honestly and wholistically.

For example: If everyone says they would change the number or availability of grind reward cards for collecting, then there is a good chance the event forced people to play more games than they actually wanted to. That should lead you to the conclusion that perhaps shorter events would be better? It should certainly alarm you to the fact you are forcing your players to "burn out" on your game (play too much get sick of it, move on) - SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT NOTICED FOR YEARS. (set 6 had heaps of grinding events which left us with a small player base - do the research, act on it).

One day, someone somewhere will thank me for my suggestions.

Until then, have a nice day.

Every successful game developer I've seen asks the player base questions and actively seeks their feedback. In fact, the only online game I can think of that I've ever played that hasn't done so is Alteil. It's also worth noting that Alteil probably has to be one of the least successful games I've played, with one of the smallest player bases I've ever seen. Some food for thought.

Scientiafide

Postby gadu » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm

As Peral once said to me, why are you guys wasting your breath?

They repeatedly demonstrate that they DO NOT CARE what you think. Most recent evidence: nature of grind event, player reaction to errata, shop inequities, moving our threads around, 99% of Safira...
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby fargone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:12 pm

gadu wrote:As Peral once said to me, why are you guys wasting your breath?

They repeatedly demonstrate that they DO NOT CARE what you think. Most recent evidence: nature of grind event, player reaction to errata, shop inequities, moving our threads around, 99% of Safira...

Im not touching the rest, but the moving of threads is the same as moving of furniture.

It's rom's workplace, and he wants it to be as comfortable for himself as possible. It's best not to confront him on these subjects - lest he gun you down.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Or send you love letters. I'd rather have yours far.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Icyglare wrote:^ Make posts not suck ;a31

Put some description in there, what is it about this event that you don't like. Why are you not just ignoring this event and just play as normal?

LOL take your own advice

No i don't need to add any description in there they know very well what should be done, they've been told several hundred times by now.
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby gadu » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Shirozaki wrote:Or send you love letters. I'd rather have yours far.

She's presenting... Now's your chance Fargone; don't blow it (or else she won't blow it:) :twisted:
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Stop trying to make my attempt at seeing Rom's mighty gun sound like an innuendo Gadu.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:06 am

Honestly grind events wouldn't be so bad if winning wasn't so important. You can do grind events that make you play without needing to win.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau