Hairy Field Commander

Alteil Art and Artists

Re: Hairy Field Commander

Postby Khiruki » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Callonia wrote:
Shirozaki wrote:How dare you defile the sacred urbandictionary terminology far. You just don't do that, you DON'T write after someone /threads!

Anything sacred is meant to be violated.

The church must love you.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am

I love how you singled out the single realistically armored female in the entire Alteil universe.
LoneKnight

Postby Khiruki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:33 am

Eskatia's armor is pretty accurate.

Set 1 Eskatia, of course.

ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Depends on how you define "accurate". For the certain time period in which Cal's armors were featured, it is the most accurate, along with Brave's who sports the exact same armor as HFC does.

But as most things armors evolved and her armor would be pretty out of place in most settings, including lavato, where the majority of enemies sport Guns, magic and female stripper golems that can shred through metal like its paper with their bare hands.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I was thinking I'd open up with "I don't want to get into fantasy armor vs realistic armor because it leads us nowhere" but whatever, I've got time to waste.

Esky's armor loses out on realistic on the shoulder spikes. Could work as a servicable parade piece though.

"There's guns and magic!" doesn't excuse all the other armors that look unwidely and impossible to move in. The designs evolved into this because it gives optimum of defense and mobility. "magic! I don't have to explain" doesn't excuse the non-realistic armor because I assume good armor enchanted>unwidely slabs of metal enchanted. Going at it from the opposite side... If how good what you are enchanting doesn't matter anyway, why wear armor at all?

As for guns, look up the origin of the word bulletproof. Seems like technoogy at the moment is mostly sixshooters and muskets/rifles, no auto or semi auto weapons yet so I think armor would be probably at least semi-effective.

Of course, this is a world with samurai that bisect european knights wearing fullplate with a single verticle slash of their katana. So in the end, it's comes down to just a stylistic choice. Personally, I love realistic looking (but not necesseraly realistic) armor, and wouldn't mind seeing more of that vs 80s anime fantasy armor. Of course, nowdays I'd just like seeing any armor at all instead of all girls of varying age and closet malfunction, all the time. Or dragons. I could do with some dragons.
LoneKnight

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm

No, it does not justify the "armor" that most characters/units wear, I agree. I am not arguing that Swan Lady's or Fountain Gargoyle's Armor are in any way accurate.

But it makes this armor less accurate, because, as Far and Call pointed out, it is made to withstand blows, not shots. After the introduction of post-Matchlock firearms the plates were made heavier, and thicker to withstand gunfire, which most of the time they DID, at a severe expense of mobility. The japanese even imported so-called tameshi gusoku, bullet profe metal plates.
The reason the armor died out was not because it was easily penetratable by guns, it was because it became too unwieldy to wear and killed its owner in the most unfortunate scenario.

The Flintlock mechanism was the last nail in the coffin of the metal armor.

As for sixshooters and muskets...

That's Winchester material.
Latest Yuni's gun was modeled after a Smith & Wesson Model 500, a single action revolver that is used for wildlife hunting in africa, so I'd certainly say they have enough fire to gun down a medieval plate.

Edit: As for Eskatia...
Armor breasts are not accurate.
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 pm

I didn't want to imply guns killed armor; in fact, saying "it got too heavy and could kill its wearer" is almost urban myth tier in how far off it is. Even the heaviest armor* doesn't restrict movement more than whatever modern soldiers are wearing (less, even; a modern soldier wears/carries more gear than even the most armored knights did).

Armor went out of style because warfare changed because of societal and industrial changes. It went from class whose only role is to buy their own **** to fight with to massed guns and cannons wielded by conscripts (well, the guns anyway, I'd assume that the cannons were manned by pros). The industrial revolution killed armor more than flintlock mechanisms ever did. Ned Kelly's armor stopped bulletts up until the 1880s and that's waaaay after plate went out of style.

I'll just take your word on whatever you are saying about the guns though, because I'm not really a gun enthusiast at all.

*Excluding parade pieces. There's some crazy **** there.
LoneKnight

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Coincidentally, that was my point though. Guns specifically kill HFC's kind of armor, which is why the accuray of this inconsistent depiction is rather questionable.

Ned Kelly did not use a medieval armor though, he used iron plates with some paddings that fullfilled the same purpose a flak vest does today. The police of the time was not equipped to handle this, but a smoothbore flintlock or anything using springfield .69 caliber would've made swiss cheese out of them.

And he didn't get away unharmed, he was shot 28 times, and had to be nursed back to health before they hanged him.
Shirozaki

Postby fargone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Ned Kelly's armour was indeed very cumbersome, and did not cover his body like a set of field plate. Anyone with a simple knife would likely have killed him with little to no challenge. They brought him down shooting his legs out.

Even if those big bore flintlocks were not penetrating the armour of old, what they were leaving behind, in the form of a very precise and uncomfortable dent quite often left the armour finishing the job for which the bullet was intended - in a similar fashion to some hammers. The armoured target would have to shed his armour or die trying. This certainly had an impact on the use of personal armour on the field.

It is also important to note that medieval times did not see 1000's of men in full plate running around the field trying to hurt each other. Plate armour was generally very expensive and therefore only used by those with wealth. It would be silly to not realise these people started staying right out of the battles themselves after the invention of the longbow. After which, many weapons were being invented to directly deal with heavy armoured opponents. The direct presence of lords and other wealthy people on the field only continued to decrease after this time.

The invention of guns making the battle field even more dangerous only served to further increase the resolve of the wealthy to let the peasants do the fighting for them.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby GOSCAR » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Nerds!!!
One does not play alteil the way they want. -Gon

False Slash- Rom
GOSCAR

PreviousNext

Return to LeBeau's Studio