Demos/Screenshots/videos oh my!

User suggestions to improve the game

Demos/Screenshots/videos oh my!

Postby VertuHonagan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm

You ever wonder what Alteils homepage is missing? You ever wonder why a lot of people don't even register to the game that look at the homepage? Well wonder no more! I have the answer! There is not a single screenshot, video, or demo to show off the game on the homepage. There is no way for prospective players to have any idea as to what the game is nor how it is played until they actually get into a game.

This is a huge no no! When I first signed up for the game there was a demo and I checked it out before I ever registered. If I was to come to our current homepage now. I would have no clue what alteil is other than it being a collectible card game. I would want to know more info on it before I registered to the game. If I came here now and had no idea what it was I would just click the close button and moved on.

I know most people want to see screenshots and previews of games before trying them out themselves. I would highly suggest putting some screenshots up in the homepage. Including a few videos youtube videos of battles even. Also bring back the demo! But this time make the cards actual alteil cards. Not modded cards that are changed to benefit the demo. Otherwise its missleading.

An example of why screenshots are needed would be this:

Lets say you go to a store and at the store they are selling two video games. One game is called Fighters and another is called Assassins. On the Fighters game you see pictures of the game being played and a brief explanation of the game on the back. Now on the Assassins game all you see are the words Assassins an action video game. Nothing else. Which game would you be more likely to pick up? Obviously the Fighters one, because you can already see info on it, and you will know before hand whether it is something you will have an interest in trying. Sure a few people might pick up the Assassins game and try it out, but not nearly as many people as Fighters.

I can Guarantee that you would get more people registering, and trying alteil, if you just simply put these things on the homepage. I can't guarantee that the people will stay, but the more people you have trying out the game, the higher your chances will be of getting players that will stay.
Train ninjas and save the world from evil on NinjaManager.com!
VertuHonagan

Re: Demos/Screenshots/videos oh my!

Postby Scientiafide » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 pm

This should definitely be considered. I'm kind of surprised the site doesn't have this already, actually.

Scientiafide

Postby Logress » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm

So basically bringing a new user to our site is not super condusive to "selling" the Alteil game. The site was designed for players to easily and quickly find information, get to different places (the card list, the game, the forum) and read news --and it's kinda old now on top of that.

We caught onto this late last year when we did an agressive campaign of raiding locations with gamers IRL with laptops, showing them the game, and watching their reactions. Making an immersive, interactive site that introduces the total newbie to alteil, its spheres and its cards -- and gets them to sign up -- became something we really wanted to do. (spending some advertising dollars with zero results was also a modivator)

The new site is done (we do need to incorporate it into/redo the new user signup system still, which is why it's not live), the idea being new users would see it and returning users or logged in users would see the current one. Since this was a project existing only for new users, it was tough. The POV of regular users weren't really lining up with what our new/potential users were telling us, so we were on our own -- and had to scrap many versions before we started getting positive responses.

The one issue we had and could never resolve was... screenshots and videos, ironically. We made two complete videos, with VO and animated cards, and gameplay. Existing users thought it was pretty good - because it highlighted the gameplay they already enjoy, but potential users thought it was pretty 1991. Worst case, some potential users said they were sold until they saw the video and then they were out. We finally gave up. It's going to go live with lots of big card art and no video. We are planning out a 3rd attempt with a video that just uses card art and an explanation, in the vein of a kickstarter video, until we have a demo battle made using the new 3D style mockup.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby VertuHonagan » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 am

Well, there are certain factors required for a video to be effective. If you want to try to make a good video that won't turn away any potential customers, not sure if you have tried these points but will suggest anyways, try these few things:

In the video include:

A preview to that chat system and player interactions

A preview of the shop and deals

A little bit of the actual gameplay but not a lot. (Especially with a game that is as confusing to follow for new players as alteil is.)

A preview of the file builder

Show a little preview of the actual in game tournament system and start doing some more in game tournaments as well.

and finally even preview the Mirage Master.

Now, if it were me, I would even go so far as to give Mirage Master a little boost. Actually reward some FM for playing as well as the gran. This way newer players have an additional way of gaining FM without having to suffer through tons of losses in game.

I look forward to seeing the new site layout.
VertuHonagan

Postby Aoi » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am

Basically they would need to finish everything else first before they could do these demos, screenshots and videos due to just about everything is getting revamped in appearance.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby VertuHonagan » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 am

I wouldn't necessarily say after the revamp either. I would say they should be made at the same time as the rest of the site. That way when the site is ready to be revamped, everything comes out at once. Then they can start advertizing the game, without having to wait even longer to get good a good video and screenshots in.

Also, Logress what is bad about a demo battle for the game before registering as well?
VertuHonagan

Postby Aoi » Wed May 01, 2013 10:30 am

Because Alteil isn't the most visually appealing game to look at? People might think its too boring based on its looks, before they could even judge it based on actually playing.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby VertuHonagan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:45 am

Not to be rude Aoi, but you do know what a demo is right? Its where you actually play the game to try it out before creating an account. They will be technically playing it, just not using cards from their collection as it does not exist yet. This will give them the oppurtunity to properly judge the gameplay before creating an account.
VertuHonagan

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am

I think the way the game is right now screen shots would turn people away. They might want to wait till they get the new UI up.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Aoi » Wed May 01, 2013 11:49 am

Lol its fine vertu, thanks for pointing out that mistake, I read something wrong somewhere when posting that probably. Um Basically the tutorial just before actually signing up, and probably re doing it to not suck.
ImageImage
Aoi

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau