Alteil Update 5/2/2013

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Alteil Update 5/2/2013

Postby SolidJimmy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey Everybody,

So it is time again for another update on Alteil, this week we wanted you to know that we are working furiously towards improving the game for the User experience.

We have completed the major graphic elements for the Battle and Card File, and we are moving on to the sub-menus and pop-ups.

Development has been focusing on finishing up the new-user oriented web page, and is moving on to revamping the registration. When it is ready for the eyeballs of new users, we'll send some advertising its way to scare up some new blood.

And we’re also bringing new employees on board for both development and customer service.

Also we are continuing to work on the API, and below is an explanation on what it will do for you and our very own Logress was kind enough to write it up.

What does the Alteil API mean to me?

By now you've probably heard that we've been spending a lot of our effort on something called an API, and depending on your exposure you're at worst thinking "Huh?" and at best thinking "well that will make the 5 programmers who play Alteil happy, so what about the rest of us?" You may have even seen the user-made card list searcher/viewer floating around that uses the API and while fun, it doesn't necessarily light your imagination on fire, not to mention the fact that someone else actually made it.

But that's precisely what the API is, building tools for building. And enabling more people to build stuff is exactly what’s so exciting. The more of the "hard stuff" taken care of by the API behind the scenes (and in advance, while we make the API), the easier it is to actually make new stuff. And we're not talking about shaving an a few days off of a month long project. We're talking about anyone who is able to make a web page now having the ability to make Folrart… and in as many weeks as the number of months a hardcore programmer would take to do it from scratch. And that's a real, powerful tool.

As a serious player and/or longtime player, you may want to see something like a robust achievement system, Marketplace, alternate gametypes, or the Community tournaments actually coded in. As a first time user coming to the site, you're thinking more in-game like tutorials, better beginner's quest, general introduction, and single player content. As a Game Master, you (I) are (am) thinking, referral rewards, better data collection, automated Events, tools that let you (me) solve individual users problems efficiently (customer support), and being able to change game parameters (presently hardcoded in the flash) for freedom in addressing broader issues (economy, progression, balance).

That's a lot of different wants and needs (and of course, there are a lot more categories than those three examples), and we have the capability to make one thing at a time. Just taking on what seems to be the highest priority issue and working your way down is not always the best answer, especially because the priority changing before a task is done can wreak scheduling and financial havoc. This is where the API comes in. If doing a project that takes X many months is not possible, do a project that makes all other projects take X many weeks instead -- then everything is possible. The best part is: working on the API is working on ALL these projects at the same time, so it is effectively immune to any kind of question of priority. In fact, if you think of something new you'd like to see, we're ALREADY working on it (well, the building blocks to make it, technically) -- it's like the best parts of mind reading and time travel put together, only without the awkwardness of meeting your mom when she was your age (and reading her mind).
SolidJimmy

Re: Alteil Update 5/2/2013

Postby Jazzock » Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 am

I know nothing about programming...so...yay for API? (I know dfm is having fun with it, i think he's the guy who made that list you're talking about :lol: )

Anyway...did you notice that your font was...large on the homepage? :?

Also - a bit late but Welcome :D
Self proclaimed user of weirdness, one of the few crazy people to actually use a pure sorceress file...

Jazzock

Postby ICAC123 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks for the info... but not a single word about the auction house?
ICAC123

Postby dfmchfhf » Fri May 03, 2013 7:35 am

5 programmers >.>
wait who are the others? o.o
dfmchfhf

Postby SolidJimmy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am

Jazzock wrote:Anyway...did you notice that your font was...large on the homepage? :?

Yeah I noticed the font on the main page after it went up and was like, crap. But that is a live and learn thing with the font there.
SolidJimmy

Postby SolidJimmy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

Also you guys can expect posts with updates about every two weeks.
SolidJimmy

Postby Shirozaki » Fri May 03, 2013 5:02 pm

SolidJimmy wrote:Also you guys can expect posts with updates about every two weeks.

I have the feeling we already went through something like that.
Shirozaki

Postby Scientiafide » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Shirozaki wrote:
SolidJimmy wrote:Also you guys can expect posts with updates about every two weeks.

Heh yea, although I'm hoping that now Alteil has a producer with money on the line we'll be seeing some changes around here.

Anyway, this update looks good, looking forward to seeing what arises from this.

Scientiafide

Postby SolidJimmy » Sat May 04, 2013 12:43 am

Scientiafide wrote:
Shirozaki wrote:

Heh yea, although I'm hoping that now Alteil has a producer with money on the line we'll be seeing some changes around here.

Anyway, this update looks good, looking forward to seeing what arises from this.

I know this sounds the same but the company and the game are making big strides for you guys.
SolidJimmy

Postby asxlen64 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 am

good luck with all the hard work. didnt understand a word you said but i definitly cant wait to see what alteil changes shall look like.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion