Johnjo's guide to File Building

Strategies and Card File Construction

Johnjo's guide to File Building

Postby J0hnj0 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 am

Become a master in a few easy steps :)

Step 1: Experience
Play a lot and try getting familiar with strong file types/units. Altough it's not fun getting beat over and over again, knowledge is necesarry for building a strong file. Here are a couple examples of strong file/units.
Urgrant; can oneshot most units and is often accompanied with many ways of returning to keep your field small.
Falkow in general; Falkow's ability to return. Hated by many who is up against returns. Return breaks up many files which rely on a field combination.
Big Lawtia/Big Red; This is described as one category even tough Lawtia and Gowen use different cards. These file types use big units and loads of grimoires.
Refess; while there are many different Refess files, they usually have in common in that they need a couple of units on the field to make a strong combination. One exception is the Stardragon which is a great against units with low health points.
Pixies; very versatile against any file. It can overwhelm the enemy or lock big file types.
Eternal Night; Small units but a tough file to face.

There are many variations of these files but the basic cards are the same. All these files have their own weaknesses, one file may have more than the other but in general when building a file you should consider going up against these types of files so it's important to know the units that contain these files to make a good counter against it. As a beginner you may want to use an existing file like the starter file or a pre=build file to gather knowledge about these files.

Step 2:
After losing a lot (and maybe getting a couple of wins) you can start building/modifying your files. Only thing that could limit you in building a file may be the lack of cards. There are ways to get free cards but do consider buying them. Getting pre-builds is a good way to get a good complete set of cards and you can modify them to your liking.
Now on to the actual building. Rather than telling what to put in your file I'll teach you how to build it. Something like teaching a man to fish instead of giving him a fish. So where to start? I usually have an idea or a set of cards that I like and then add cards to it. You don't want to focus too much on just one unit because there just aren't any that can last you through the whole game. Look for synergies, units that compliment eachother's skills. There are some great combo's out there like command dolls and orks. The weakness of combination cards is ofcourse that they are quite weak when alone so be wary of that. Don't use too much support cards for the same reason. Ideally you want units that can stand and act alone. Those units are often high level and hard to acces. One of the best stand alone units is Dragon Slayer / Bringer.
When you're done making your file, have a look at your opening cards. A good open can be the difference between winning and losing. Always try to avoid losing SP to an shade unless it doesn't hurt your file or your file is very strong against Lawtia.
When you're settled with your main cards you can add the soul skills. Soul skills are very important and contribute greatly to your winning chances. First decide on how much LP you need. If you have a lot of sac units or a big file make sure you have enough LP to survive. But for the most files more LP isn't always better. You'll want just enough LP. Keep in mind that every every unit and sacs will cost you 1 LP. Revive SS keep your units up which means you still need LP for them if they go down. Sin SS on the other hand reduces the need of LP by removing one of your units from the field. Be careful that it doesn't backfire on you.
Now you may think you're done but you're not. Sometimes a file looks really good on paper but fails miserably in practice so it's time for testing. Best way to test it is to take your file to Folrart arena. Just play your file a couple of times in the arena and analyze each game you play. There's not much to analyze when you win. If you win it means all is good. When you lose you have to think why or to what (cards) did you lose. You can only improve you're file if you know what the problem with your file is. When playing, try to remember what units were useful and which weren't. Did you use all units? Were you able to set a card every turn? Did you have enough SP for your cards or did you have too much SP and weren't using it at all. We're your SS useful? Then after tweaking it a bit you'll go out in Folrart arena for new results and keep doing this until you're sattisfied with you're file. Making small adjustments this way can completely change you're file when you first started with but hopefully for the better. And if a file doesn't win (enough) it may be just a bad file and just scrap it and start over again.

I will use one of my files to explain how I started and how my file evolved.
I don't remember exactly how the file looked like when I started with it but it was something like this. I had just gotten some new cards and wanted to try them out. In this case it was ex: mystic talisman. (btw if you're not familiar with these cards, you missed step 1) So yeah, mystic talisman and then Aria because I already have the multisphere and mystic talisman can benefit from Aria's grim lock. Since these two have low agi and are refess I added Lapierre for the buffs. And because of Lapierre I had to add more low agi Refess units for maximum synergy. As for opening, I decided to go for Cath --> Oseon. In case of backlash or shades I have Arriete so it'll be Cath --> Arriete --> Oseon, otherwise I wont be using Arriete. The SS were easy to decide. Cath and Oseon return enough SP to get my field up so I have SS to keep enemy SP low and I like dmg SS and Gafc is one of the best 1LP SS out there. With slow units on my side it's easy to use psycho soldier ss, return ss are great anway to prevent opponent to field (too many) units. So with my file done I did some test runs and it turned out to be a great file but I did lose some matches so I looked over my file again and see what I could do to make it better. Sunlight knight is an okay unit but not really needed and folrart unicorn knight is very good against characters but with Lapierre buffing any of my units were great.
Biggest problems I had with this file is Big Red and Big Lawtia. There were some others so I tweaked my file accordingly and the end result is this:
Brahma was originally chosen to go against Zu-Jyuva but turns out to be a great tank against anything except for max hp hate, but thats rare and in those situations I wont be using Brahma.
Raste is to counter undeads, tough I had tgc monk first but Raste can deal with other units as well.
4th SS cait sith. Big Red spamming grims, normally Aria counters that but big red often has Sakura as well. Just let Big Red waste everything they have on Aria and get her back with this ss.
5th SS, Beast Hunter Rivera. Not a big change but still handy at times because of the many sacs this file has.
Sylph, there aren't many units you can't return with psycho soldier ss and if there are its usually no problem but there are a few super annoying units that you really want to get rid of and thats where sylph can help you out.

This guide has come to an end and I hope you have learned a thing or two about file building. Dont just copy a file but try to understand how building a file works.
J0hnj0

Re: Johnjo's guide to File Building

Postby Icyman2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 am

Very good guide
Icyman2

Postby Icyman2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 am

for a noob
Icyman2

Postby TheMindWraith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 am

Good Guide.
Maybe include weaknesses of certain meta grade files?
TheMindWraith

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

Icyman2 wrote:for a noob

xD
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby sunbunman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 pm

am i the only one who can't see the pictures anymore?
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

Postby Icyman2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 am

Yes
Icyman2

Postby Icyman2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 am

Also sad no one said nice pun
Icyman2

Postby worthing » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 am

cram it, nerd
worthing

Postby hexagram » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:54 pm

great short guide recommended read for all new guys

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Return to Annarose's Sanctum