Battleforge now FREE2PLAY !!!

TCG's

Battleforge now FREE2PLAY !!!

Postby Tenkai » Tue May 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Tenkai

Re: Battleforge now FREE2PLAY !!!

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Looooong time coming, but gives the much maligned by greed other wise brilliant title a little hope at life. That said, its only kind of sort of free2play, as I understand it you still can't get any free cards beyond your free starter so I still consider alteil the superior model and the more true "free2play" game, but they do have one major thing going for them alteil doesn't, a single player campaign. Just think where alteil could be if there were computer AIs for players, sick of getting their butt handed to them by top players, to play against.

Anyway I may look into this game now, but I don't forsee it getting any of my money, my support is still in business models like alteil's. Plus this change can't have made the early adopters too happy, paid 50 bucks for basically 30 dollars worth of gran and a pretty box, the last thing this game needed was more unrest among its players.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:45 pm

If it dosnt give you the possibility (i mean not even the slightest chance) to get everything for free, then that "FREE2PLAY" is pure bullsh1t and a big stinky lie!
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tenkai » Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 pm

IMHO the pay model of Battleforge and the whole system with the auction house and player to player trade is superior to alteil.

1st: You can get alteil gran only from the game provider, so you have to pay for it what they want you to pay. Battleforge points can be obtained through several places and and the competition will surely benefit the players in the long run: you can already get BF Points way cheaper on several sites. Even some retail shops here in germany give some discount on the points. You can even trade or give your BF points for free to other players.

2nd: There is a trade system and an auction house to get rid of some of your useless cards. To be fair, not all cards are sellable. But this option alone makes BF superior to alteil when it comes to your money/value ratio. In the end you will invest way more in alteil compared to BF when you want to be competitive.

3rd: There is a single player campaign. You can even play with up to 4 other BF players in coop on several maps.

4th: BF's playerbase and community is already at least 10 times bigger than alteil.

@Peralisc2: even if you have to pay for BF points without any possibility to get them for free you will pay less in BF than in alteil thanks to the trade-system.

BTW here is a site will all cards:

http://bfcards.info/search.php
Tenkai

Postby Zanador » Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

I didnt check the site yet, but i will later.
Anyway, what you say Tenkai, may be true: Battle Forge may have a better price/value ratio than Alteil, but it seems like it has nothing on the Free/value rate. Peralics only pointed that out, and seems like he is right.
As for myself: if i cant play it without spending money from time to time, then its off limits for me.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue May 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Yeah, I love trading and auction houses, hooking up guild members/friends with cards or manipulating the market to try to earn money is always fun, but not having ways to earn free money really is a pretty significant downside. This is what keeps free players around longer, even long term, and with out it most of the free players BF is going to gain are going to likely be gone with in a week never to be heard from again leaving the paying players with the same very minimal player base they had before they did this. Further, BF is in a dangerous state right now, it did so poorly in its first month or so that it already had a price drop on the retail boxes from 50 dollars to 30 dollars! This not only shows a game in peril, but is causing dissent among early adopters who feel like they got gipped out of 20 dollars for taking a chance on the game.

Alteil is backed up by media blasters and already has a pretty strong road map laid out for them by the Japanese game for the next 3 or so years, BF is backed by EA, a company that has known to abandon games and shutdown the servers for games barely a year old if they felt it was no longer profitable. Check out this old news post: http://www.techspot.com/news/22477-ea-shuts-down-online-game-servers.html

I'm not saying BF will die, I wish them the best of luck and hope they become successful long term, its a great game concept that I think has room to grow if this game proves successful, but right now I have more faith in the long term health of Alteil then I do BF. Allowing people to play for free was a step in the right direction, it will, at least in the short term, increase their player base which from what I had heard was already pretty lacking depending on which country's server you played on, but it still has a lot of things going against it that if not address correctly could doom the game before it ever really gets going.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 pm

even if you have to pay for BF points without any possibility to get them for free you will pay less in BF than in alteil thanks to the trade-system.

So how much do i pay to be a top player there.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tenkai » Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 am

Peralisc2 wrote:
even if you have to pay for BF points without any possibility to get them for free you will pay less in BF than in alteil thanks to the trade-system.

So how much do i pay to be a top player there.

If you know what you are doing and you already have a specific deck/strategy you wanna build, I would say you need around 3K-4K BF points which equals to around 20-25€. If you play the market right, you need even less. Making some good trades or sells helps alot :)

http://bfcards.info/search.php is the best info site for BF. It has an overview of all cards, deck builder, market prices of all cards, auction statistics, replays of PVE and PVP matches...

If you want a complete set of all 200 cards, this thread here is a good indicator:
http://forums.battleforge.com/forum/sho ... php?t=9493

All ppl there needed around 6,5K-7K for a complete card set. Which is around 30-35€.

BTW all prices were calculated based on this site: http://www.onlinekeystore.com/BattleForge/
Don't buy BF points from the official website: to expensive there.

Compared to alteil the game is really cheap. Friend of mine spent well over 500€ when alteil first started and couldn't get a complete set LOL. The funny thing is he didn't even wanted a complete, just 3 specific cards...
Tenkai

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Wait you are saying that all current cards (200) cost 35$ aproximatley?

Well will check the game play when i have time and see then what i do next.
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

*looks at various websites and posts, then crunches some numbers* Hmmm, very very interesting. I'm not sure if you work at EA, or your just some sort of shill sent by them to "recruit" new members, but I have to hand it to you, the numbers seem to add up. I don't really understand how an outside site sells their version of gran for significantly less then the main site does, seriously what is that about, seems kind of sketchy, but assuming it is legit, the game actually does appear to have fixed its greedy ways and is now infact much cheaper then alteil is. Theres a lot I love about alteil, but the high prices to collect playable sets of cards has always turned me off to some degree, being able to collect an entire 200 card set of cards for around 40 bucks is infinitely more reasonable then what alteil charges. I'm at least going to take another look into this game, though I'm still at best tenatively curious, but they've earned at least a second chance with these price drops and 4 free starters and single player campaign business structure there using now.
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt