Battleforge now FREE2PLAY !!!

TCG's

Re: Battleforge now FREE2PLAY !!!

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:I don't really understand how an outside site sells their version of gran for significantly less then the main site does, seriously what is that about, seems kind of sketchy

That and many other reasons are why you first play test the game for a while and in some cases you get the "private" version, test it and if it's good then you buy it.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby edgarfigaro » Wed May 27, 2009 12:38 pm

How fun would it be if everyone played an Endless Morning deck? There's a reason certain cards are hard to obtain. And it is significantly cheaper than trying to build a tournament ready Magic deck. We know it's not easy to obtain 3 of each card, but not everyone wants triple Propositions.

To alleviate people's stress, once we get enough users coming in on a constant basis, we can reanalyze how to best split up the arenas. We want it to where each play style and buying habit can play comfortably. How the arenas can best be split will take some time to work out.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

EdgarFigaro wrote:How fun would it be if everyone played an Endless Morning deck? There's a reason certain cards are hard to obtain. And it is significantly cheaper than trying to build a tournament ready Magic deck. We know it's not easy to obtain 3 of each card, but not everyone wants triple Propositions.

To alleviate people's stress, once we get enough users coming in on a constant basis, we can reanalyze how to best split up the arenas. We want it to where each play style and buying habit can play comfortably. How the arenas can best be split will take some time to work out.

If everyones running Eternal Morning just because they all have access to it then I think there's some deeper balance issues that need to be addressed. Don't get me wrong, with everyone having every card you do have a tendency toward Flavor of the Months popping up, where a single file becomes popular and everyone starts copying it, but really that's still kind of happening here where a large portion of the population are playing gowen (and has been for many sets now) simply because they're the best file most people can make with out spending huge dollars. People want to use powerful decks, your not going to change that, but in a well balanced game this is not necessarily a bad thing. In many ways it helps keep the environment less stagnant because by running the popular files yourself you tend to learn their weaknesses, and through that can switch to other files and be better equipped to beat the popular files until, sick of losing, people stop running the popular files and switch to the next popular file. I had many big blue players say after set 2 that big blue had tons of weaknesses to exploit that people just never realized cause they never played it themselves, who knows what the meta would have been like if a larger portion of our player base could have tried out big blue for themselves.

So no, I can't agree that our getting less cards for our money is a good thing, in my opinion alteil would be much better off if we got more gran for our money and thus we could complete sets of cards for say 40 bucks. As it is I spent 30 bucks prior to set 4s launch and got NOTHING from my box or packs that I'm now using in my files, not cause there isn't stuff in that set that I want to use, but because I pulled very few playsets. If I had gotten enough gran for double the cards I'd have surely have gotten at least a few more playsets of stuff I wanted and actually be running new and interesting files now.

Anyway back on topic, battle forge could sell complete sets for a dollar, but it still wouldn't be worth my dollar if I didn't enjoy the game, so I'll have to look into it more first and determine whether its something I really enjoy before I even consider spending any money on it. I'd still rather pay 3 dollars for a bag of tasty french fries then 1 dollar for a bag of stinky dog doo, price isn't everything, you've got to get value for your money.

Although to be fair, I never really felt like I got value for the money I've invested in alteil, but I looked at it more as a donation toward a good cause, I like the GMs, I like the gameplay, and I want to support free2play business models.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 pm

EdgarFigaro wrote:How fun would it be if everyone played an Endless Morning deck? There's a reason certain cards are hard to obtain. And it is significantly cheaper than trying to build a tournament ready Magic deck. We know it's not easy to obtain 3 of each card, but not everyone wants triple Propositions.

That's an imbalance issue in my opinion. You have to agree that many cards are underplayed because they are too weak.

Don't know about battleforge yet, probably it is the same, most games are like this. Some units are underpowered and some units are good even standalone so you can just mass them ...
For some strange reason no game seems to want more or less "perfect" balance, where all cards or units are used equaly much.

So you are working on the idea of a "fun arena"?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tenkai » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm

DanTheTimid wrote: I'm not sure if you work at EA, or your just some sort of shill sent by them to "recruit" new members, but I have to hand it to you, the numbers seem to add up. I don't really understand how an outside site sells their version of gran for significantly less then the main site does, seriously what is that about, seems kind of sketchy, but assuming it is legit, the game actually does appear to have fixed its greedy ways and is now infact much cheaper then alteil is.

BTW I'm not working for EA, I just find BF a very interesting game, which other tgc players might want to try too. I was an alteil player long ago, but the money you have to spent here... I really like alteil and I would be the first person to return, when they introduce some kind of trade-system.

Now to the different prices on several sites, thats EA's own fault... They offer their BF points in EVERY country for the SAME AMOUNT no matter the currency. For example you have to pay 20 $ for 2250 BF points in america but in germany/europe you have to pay 20 € for the same amount of BF points. 20 € equals to around 28 $. You can apply the same to other countries like Poland, where the currency is alot weaker than the $ or €. So some smart ppl from the US or Europe buy BF points in countries with a weak currency and sell them cheaper than EA and still make a profit. I hope my explanation is understandable.

EA just have to adjust their prices for all the different currencies/countries but they seem to be to lazy to do that. Better for the players so they can get cheap BF points :)

Peralisc2 wrote:Don't know about battleforge yet, probably it is the same, most games are like this. Some units are underpowered and some units are good even standalone so you can just mass them ...
For some strange reason no game seems to want more or less "perfect" balance, where all cards or units are used equaly much.

The same is true for BF, there are cards which almost everyone wants and the are some which are really worthless.
Tenkai

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed May 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Are they at least making some attempt to buff the weak units and weaken the over powered ones? Terrible balance is a killing point in any card based game for me. Alteil's balance isn't perfect, but its above average compared to most card games out there, and with every set they use errata to try to get things closer to perfect. In any collectible card game worth playing balance is never going to be perfect, in order to make truly unique and interesting cards you have to create skills and stat interactions that aren't so clear cut in their balance. To me theres 4 tiers of card game balance styles:

Worst) Purposely try to make the cards imbalanced, making the rarest cards the most powerful so that people will have to spend big bucks to compete.

Bad) Don't even put in any effort into trying to balance things, just sort of try to make a fun game and let the players sort out which cards are worth using and which aren't.

Good) Try to release make things balanced, putting alot of work in before sets even come out so that you never have to errata or ban anything.

Best) Try to release balanced sets, putting alot of work in before sets even come out, but still being willing to errata, ban, or take any other measures necessary to keep the game as balanced as possible once balance issues inevitably still show up.

Alteil is in the "Best" group, where does Battle Forge lie?
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Tenkai » Wed May 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Don't have an answer for that right now. We will see when they release the second card set.
Tenkai

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Hm, i am not really into this buy offsite thing. :/

Seems like you advertise for potential offsite profit. They should put their brain in their head and make it so that everyone has to spend 20$ (for example) no matter what the currency. >_>
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby Tenkai » Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 pm

LOL I'm not someone working for the onkinekeystore or related to it: its just a tip everyone in the BF community knows. Just check the official forums.
Tenkai

Postby Kamerynn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I've been testing this game out for a bit, and I figured I'd toss some info. about it out there for everyone. Keep in mind I've only been playing for about a week, so my experience is still limited.

Peralisc2 wrote:If it dosnt give you the possibility (i mean not even the slightest chance) to get everything for free, then that "FREE2PLAY" is pure bullsh1t and a big stinky lie!

A good point. Although battleforge points can't be directly earned, gold can, and one could use the mail system to trade gold for BP (such things happen occasionally). However, a number of people treat doing this with some skepticism since you have to trust that the person will mail you the gold (or BP); there's no option in the trade window for trading gold (just cards and BP). There are scammers out there, so be careful.

The going rate seems to be about 10 BP for 1000 gold. You could make anywhere from 50 - 200 gold on a standard PVE map, from what I've experienced so far. Some of the more common cards sell on the market for 10 BP or less, although the big stuff costs 2k+. Packs are worth 150 BP.

DanTheTimid wrote:Are they at least making some attempt to buff the weak units and weaken the over powered ones?

Yes and no. They appear to be watching for overpowered abilities (they've already increased the special ability cost of one card that seemed troublesome). However, the rare cards do seem to be the most powerful, although they're almost all bigger units, meaning that they cost more to summon and use. None the less, the gulf between free players and paying players seems to be more exaggerated than it is in alteil. As Tenkai says, we'll have to wait for set 2 for more info. - still not sure how much work they're going to put into balancing new sets relative to set 1.

Peralisc2 wrote:Don't know about battleforge yet, probably it is the same, most games are like this. Some units are underpowered and some units are good even standalone so you can just mass them ...

Yep. I can see that in BF already; there are definitely units that you'd rather mass, and units that you'd rather not unless you have nothing better. Although each player starts off summoning a fairly weak unit or two, games will quickly evolve into massing groups of your best units. Starter cards don't look very impressive when up against the big rares.
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
-- Terry Pratchett
Kamerynn

PreviousNext

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt