Fate/Stay Night

Anime and Manga

Fate/Stay Night

Postby Romdeau » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm a huge fan of this franchise, and am currently in the process of reading the prequel novels Fate/Zero-I know of at least 1 other fan that frequents these forums, but I'm curious to know who else enjoys the F/S N series. In case you're unaware, I'm referring to the game, anime, novels, and manga. Love or hate, I want to hear what you think. I've just recently finished up the game myself and it is about ten times better than the anime-the anime really doesn't do the original justice. The novels have a pretty interesting story line (so far)-and it's fan translated, so I can't complain too much right? I've yet to check out the manga and I don't know anyone else who's read it so far...if you've read it, can you expand a little upon it?

Thanks for any comments.
Romdeau

Re: Fate/Stay Night

Postby Xovian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Only thing i disliked about the Anime, was that the male lead did something that isn't quite "human in nature".
If the dumbest person understands self preservation. He is told "if you go out at night, they will kill you", and he does such things anyways.
It's hard to suspend belief when something like that happens in any story, and is really my only gripe about it.

Other then that i rather enjoyed the series myself.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Not the best anime, but it's one of those that are a bit hard to find after a while of watching various series, so it's one of the better animes out there imo. The animation and story line were quite good.
First when i seen the profile photo i thought it's one of the series i might drop after 2-3 episodes or torture myself until the end of it because i can't find anything better to watch. Well i am glad it was one of those that made me sit late at night (until 3 AM or so) to finish the series (last 6-7 episodes).

As for the manga i think there are only 17 chapters released, so the anime reveals much more of the plot.

favorite char: Medusa
epic ;th2
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Callonia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Big question, did you guys do the F S/N Eroge?

If not, then get off your **** and get it.

Its easily the one of bestest eroges out there.
Callonia

Postby Romdeau » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Don't call it an eroge...it's more like the LotR series length wise with maybe less than 30 pages worth of Erotic scenes. Call it a visual novel. Anyhow, I've played it and absolutely loved it. I agree, if you're a fan of franchise, definitely recommend the game. Be warned, it's a visual novel-there are lots of pictures and animations, but it is at it's core a reading story-if you're not a fan of reading, then stay away!

On a unrelated note, I just got my box set of the anime today so woot lol.
Romdeau

Postby Callonia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Romdeau wrote:Don't call it an eroge...it's more like the LotR series length wise with maybe less than 30 pages worth of Erotic scenes. Call it a visual novel. Anyhow, I've played it and absolutely loved it. I agree, if you're a fan of franchise, definitely recommend the game. Be warned, it's a visual novel-there are lots of pictures and animations, but it is at it's core a reading story-if you're not a fan of reading, then stay away!

On a unrelated note, I just got my box set of the anime today so woot lol.

I called it a Eroge coz it has Erotic scenes included, Visual Novel is more appropriate for stories without erotic scenes in my opinion.
Callonia

Postby Ginnazoh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am

Heaven's Feel is in my opinion by far the best story in the game...it is unfortunate that they decided to go with Fate as the storyline for the anime and I believe they are doing the same thing for the manga although I only read the first 3 or so volumes. But, seeing what the target audience, severity of the context and popularity of the character...fate was the most obvious choice.

Also, the ps2 version Fate Stay/Night: Realta Nua has all the ero scenes removed and has some pretty awesome voice acting. I'm not sure if you guys played the game in japanese or used Mirror Moon's fantranslation, but if u used mirror moon's fantranslation and have FSN:RN, you can extract the voice acting from the ps2 game into your computer and have voice acting for your FSN on computer :D

btw where are you reading Fate/Zero from Romdeau? Or are you reading the actual Japanese version?

You might want to check out Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. I didnt find the story as great as FSN but it was still very enjoyable.
Ginnazoh

Postby Romdeau » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I enjoyed all 3 arcs thoroughly, yet oddly I enjoyed UBW the least. The story behind Archer is what really carried it for me, not Rin. Heaven's Feel is probably too dark to appeal to a wider audience and I doubt we'll ever see it in a mass media form (like anime or manga); however, if it did happen, that would be fantastic. I would just hope they don't adapt it poorly like they did with the original F/S N anime. I read Mirror Moon's translation (great job they did, seriously) but if I could read Japanese I'm sure the original work is even better.

If I ever decide to re-read F/S N, (took me over 3 and a half days of just reading to get through it, but it's that good) I'll probably install the voice patch.

I'm currently reading the fan-translated Fate/Zero. I can PM you the link if you'd like. It's a little rough around the edges, but I'd say it's still worth a read; especially if you consider the odds of an official translation is close to nil. F/S H sounds less appealing to me, but when the fan-translation for that project is done I plan on giving it a look over at least.

Currently I'm in the process of digesting the Tsukihime VN and I'm almost halfway through it. As of right now, F/S N is a superior VN experience but that doesn't mean I somehow dislike Tsukihime. I guess the more impressive visuals (background, character drawings) and sound effects of F/S N have hooked me for sure, give me a little bit more time to fully analyze/compare the 2 stories because I'm not done yet. I also think the anime may have killed it for me for the first arc (regardless of the spoils I kinda have a bone to pick with it, but meh)-anyhow I'll stop rambling about a non-related VN.
Romdeau

Postby Ginnazoh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:59 pm

tsukihime for me really picked it up for me when I got to hisui and kohaku's storyline. The story just felt more complete and intriguing by then since I already knew the ciel side, akiha side and ciel side of the story.

I think the reason i like Heaven's Feel so much is because I feel that its a better reflection of the game, as I think the game is supposed to be a darker game. Most of nasu's other works that I've seen translations of (chinese and english), seem to support this (tsukihime, melty blood, sinner's garden). Also, I've heard that translating...even just reading nasu's work is pretty difficult as his style of writing is very unique.

and I have to agree with you, I found UBW left me desiring more...probably because of what I feel is the lack of development of Rin's character.
Ginnazoh

Postby Zanador » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm

I read (/played?) the mirror moon version of F/SN too, and what really cought me was the complexity of the story... It stats off by a basic scenario as "7 masters and 7 servants fight, coz the holy grail will grant a wish for the winner", then route by route they proceed to tear everything apart piece by piece. And the darkness is allways there, just lurking. I checked most of the bad and dead ends too, and like this, the main storyline of the first two routes just seem to be a huge concidence and luck. Whereas the Heaven's Feel's bad ends were quite boring: "wrong decision, you are dead" nearly all of them this short and simple. Its because here it was the main storyline that showed the darkness, and it did well.
Like this, you can count me as a huge fan too, and all 3 routes were amazing (tho im admittedly biased about the UBW route), but i dont know much about the other stories in the type-moon world. (yet..)

(also, take a look at my sig, it explains much)
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Next

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy