Game FAQ

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Game FAQ

Postby Logress » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:24 pm

;a30 Alteil FAQ

GENERAL
1) When will Alteil be available?
2) What is the Beta?
3) Why would I want to be on the Beta if my account will be reset afterwards?
4) How do I get started playing Alteil?
5) How do I choose my Starter card set?
6) Does Alteil really require no download?
7) Is Alteil really free to play?
8) Can I choose my opponents online?
9) What is Gran and what is Fight Money? What’s the difference?
10) What is “Mirage Master”?
GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS
1) How can I learn to play Alteil?
2) What does “SP” do?
3) It’s my first duel, and I can’t play a card even though I have enough SP. What’s going on?
4) My card has several skills on it, but I can’t use them in battle. What’s wrong?
5) My card has an Action Skill, but it’s not appearing in the Action Menu. What’s wrong?
6) What is the difference between an “Auto Skill” and a “Start Skill”?
7) What does “Open” and “Close” mean?
8) My card has a RNG (range) of 3. Why can’t I hit the enemy in row 3?

GENERAL

1) When will Alteil be available?
We’ll be doing the stress test (Alpha) on our servers on Tuesday, June 10-16.
The Beta starts on Monday, Jun 23, and goes until Monday, July 7
Our official launch date is Wednesday, July 9

2) What is the Beta?
A Beta is a period of testing, where we invite players to play and help us find bugs. Not only will playing be free at this time, (as it always will be) but using the shop will also be free. Accounts will be reset after the Beta.

3) Why would I want to be on the Beta if my account will be reset afterwards?
To reward our Beta testers, you will be able to keep your experience points and a special avatar that will not be available any other way.

4) How do I get started playing Alteil?
Click on the register button on the web site and sign up. Once the game is live, or if you are in the Beta, you can then register with the game proper. Fill in your account information and log in. Once in the game, you will start on the “My Iczer” Tab, where you can see your Stats. On the top of the screen, you will see a set of tabs that will let you navigate around the various areas of Alteil. Under the “Game” Tab you will find the main components of Alteil proper.

5) How do I choose my Starter card set?
The first time you log in and go to the “Game” Tab, a screen will pop up asking you to choose a set. You’ll be able to preview them first. Each set will concentrate on one of the four Spheres of Influence, Refess (yellow), Lawtia (purple), Gowen (Red) or Falkow (blue). Each set is planned to have about 50 cards, so you’ll have enough extra cards to customize and personalize your Card File.

6) Does Alteil really require no download?
Yes. Alteil can run in any web browser with no downloads, but please check out the System Requirements for more details.

7) Is Alteil really free to play?
Yes, Alteil has no monthly fee and your Starter card set is free. You also earn new cards for free by leveling up and by dueling in the main arenas. It can take some time to get new cards this way, so if you like you can visit the Shop and purchase booster packs to get them quicker. We will also offer pets, Avatars and similar items in the Shop. Remember, it doesn’t matter how you get your cards. Purchased cards and free cards can be played side by side, and we will never require you to purchase cards to participate in tournaments or other special events.

8) Can I choose my opponents online?
Yes, in the Training arena, you can create a room, like a chat room, and your opponents will join you. You can password protect dueling rooms and only give your friends the password. However, you will not earn Experience, Ranking Points, or new cards by dueling in the Training arena. In the main arenas, your opponents are chosen randomly.

9) What is Gran and what is Fight Money? What’s the difference?
Gran is Alteil money you buy under the Cashier Tab with real-world money. Fight Money is money you earn by dueling. Many items in the shop have two different prices, one if you buy in FM and one if you buy in Gran.

10) What is “Mirage Master”?
Mirage Master is a one player mini-game on the Alteil site. You can access it from the My Iczer page, or from the main site. Playing will earn you a little extra Gran and FM, so give it a try.

GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS

1) How can I learn to play Alteil?
There is an Flash Tutorial available on the website. We’re also putting together an HTML Tutorial to compliment it. Really, the best thing to do is play and try things out. You can also ask questions on the Forums, or read through the FAQ and the Card List.

2) What does “SP” do?
SP, or Spell Points, are your resource. You use it to activate cards. Level 1 cards need 1 SP, level 4 cards need 4 SP, and so on.

3) It’s my first duel, and I can’t play a card even though I have enough SP. What’s going on?
In addition to having enough SP, you need to have a high enough level in the appropriate Sphere of Influence. Over on the right side of the game screen, you can see four zeroes, over four colored symbols. These colors correspond to the four card colors. To use a level two red card, you need to have at least level 2 in the red Sphere of Influence (Gowen). To raise your Spheres of Influence, just click on the “up” arrow above the appropriate number. Once you raise a Sphere of Influence, it stays for the rest of the game.

4) My card has several skills on it, but I can’t use them in battle. What’s wrong?
You can only actively use “Action Skills” in battle. They will appear on the action menu, along with “Attack,” “Stand by,” and “Move.” Soul Skills only come into play if the card is set as one of your five “Soul Cards” in the Card File before the duel. All other skills happen automatically, when certain conditions are met.

5) My card has an Action Skill, but it’s not appearing in the Action Menu. What’s wrong?
Many Action Skills require an SP cost. If you don’t have enough SP left, then you can’t use the Action Skill this turn, and it will not appear as an option.

6) What is the difference between an “Auto Skill” and a “Start Skill”?
Both skills happen automatically. Start Skills happen at the very beginning of the Action Phase. Auto Skills happen at the beginning of the card in question’s turn. For example, if a card has an Auto Skill, DF+5, and a Start skill, DF+5, but is slower than the enemy, then it will play out in this order: First, his start skill will add +5 to his defense. Then the enemy will attack. Then his Auto skill will add another +5 to his defense, too late to help him against his attacker. Finally, he will take his action.

7) What does “Open” and “Close” mean?
Open is our word for turning a card face up. Close is our word for turning a card face down. For example, an Open skill would go off when you first turn the card face up, when you reveal your card to your opponent.

A good way to think of RNG is this: with a RNG of 1, you can only attack the person right in front of you. With a RNG of 2, you can attack over his head and hit the guy behind him. With a RNG of 3, you can attack over two people and hit the guy behind them. The number of rows between you and your target doesn’t matter, the number of Units between you and your target does matter.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Game FAQ

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm

A good way to think of RNG is this: with a RNG of 1, you can only attack the person right in front of you. With a RNG of 2, you can attack over his head and hit the guy behind him. With a RNG of 3, you can attack over two people and hit the guy behind them. The number of rows between you and your target doesn’t matter, the number of Units between you and your target does matter.

This sounds a little confusing to me, could you clarify that I'm understanding this correctly? Are you saying because the card has range of 3 it can only hit the enemy if he has 3 card in a row and even then only the back enemy? So as long as my opponent never puts more then 2 units in a row, regardless of what row they are in, all my range 3 cards are completely incapable of attacking? That seems overly restrictive.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Rad!oZonde » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:44 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:8) My card has a RNG (range) of 3. Why can’t I hit the enemy in row 3?

This sounds a little confusing to me, could you clarify that I'm understanding this correctly? Are you saying because the card has range of 3 it can only hit the enemy if he has 3 card in a row and even then only the back enemy? So as long as my opponent never puts more then 2 units in a row, regardless of what row they are in, all my range 3 cards are completely incapable of attacking? That seems overly restrictive.

the range [from what I understood from the akon booth demo] just explains the 'reach' of a character card. It can still attack any other part of the field
for example:

|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field
|_| |_| |_|

now lets say that card x has a range of 3, there are two enemy cards that card x can attack, enemy card m and enemy card o.
card v also has a range of 3, in it's current position it can attack any card on the enemy field.
Now if card x has a range of 4 it can do so as well.

let's say that card o only has a range of 2. It will only be able to attack the first row. This would basically be a waste of range in this type of situation. However if the other player only has range 1 characters on the field you can use this to your advantage since they will not be able to reach the range 2 card
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Rad!oZonde wrote:
DanTheTimid wrote:8) My card has a RNG (range) of 3. Why can’t I hit the enemy in row 3?

the range [from what I understood from the akon booth demo] just explains the 'reach' of a character card. It can still attack any other part of the field
for example:

|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field
|_| |_| |_|

now lets say that card x has a range of 3, there are two enemy cards that card x can attack, enemy card m and enemy card o.
card v also has a range of 3, in it's current position it can attack any card on the enemy field.

let's say that card o only has a range of 2. It will only be able to attack the first row. This would basically be a waste of range in this type of situation. However if the other player only has range 1 characters on the field you can use this to your advantage since they will not be able to reach the range 2 card

I appreciate the reply but this explanation seems to contradict the FAQ. According to the FAQ "The number of rows between you and your target doesn’t matter, the number of Units between you and your target does matter." However based on your example its the rows that matter since the only difference between v and x is the number of rows between them and the enemy units.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Rad!oZonde » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:54 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:
Rad!oZonde wrote:

for example:

|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field
|_| |_| |_|

I appreciate the reply but this explanation seems to contradict the FAQ. According to the FAQ "The number of rows between you and your target doesn’t matter, the number of Units between you and your target does matter." However based on your example its the rows that matter since the only difference between v and x is the number of rows between them and the enemy units.

ah I apologize I'm going by what I remember playing at akon
Hopefully if everything is ready friday I should be able to explain this a bit better
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby lupos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Zonde is correct, the issue is that in his illustration he has a unit in every row.

Rad!oZonde wrote:
|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field
|_| |_| |_|

instead of this imagine this:
|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|_| |_| |_|
|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field

Except his explanation still applies. It's "occupied rows" that matter. so because no one is in your front row it doest count.

I for one like to keep my front row empty depending on the deck and use row 2 as my front line. Then if I need to I can shove a meat shield up front to either absorb some damage or use it to trigger a soul card.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:32 pm

lupos wrote:Zonde is correct, the issue is that in his illustration he has a unit in every row.

Rad!oZonde wrote:
|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field
|_| |_| |_|

instead of this imagine this:
|_| |r| |_|
|o| |_| |_| <enemy field
|_| |_| |m|

|_| |_| |_|
|v| |_| |_|
|_| |x| |_| <your field

Except his explanation still applies. It's "occupied rows" that matter. so because no one is in your front row it doest count.

I for one like to keep my front row empty depending on the deck and use row 2 as my front line. Then if I need to I can shove a meat shield up front to either absorb some damage or use it to trigger a soul card.

Ok sorry to keep bothering you but I'm still a little confused. So range is based on rows... but only rows that include atleast 1 unit? So in your example if v has range 1 he can still hit m since theres no units in the row directly in front of him? So then why in the FAQ example can't a range 3 unit hit an opponent unit in the back row? If the unit is in your front row regardless of what other units your opponent has he should be able to hit an opponent in his back row shouldn't he? The only way I see a range 3 not being able to hit a back row opponent based on my understanding is if he's in your second or back row and both you and your opponent have a unit in every row...
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:40 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:Ok sorry to keep bothering you but I'm still a little confused. So range is based on rows... but only rows that include atleast 1 unit? So in your example if v has range 1 he can still hit m since theres no units in the row directly in front of him? So then why in the FAQ example can't a range 3 unit hit an opponent unit in the back row? If the unit is in your front row regardless of what other units your opponent has he should be able to hit an opponent in his back row shouldn't he? The only way I see a range 3 not being able to hit a back row opponent based on my understanding is if he's in your second or back row and both you and your opponent have a unit in every row...

That's absolutely correct.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby lupos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:59 pm

DanTheTimid wrote: So then why in the FAQ example can't a range 3 unit hit an opponent unit in the back row?

It can, trick is this is apparently a difficult concept to sum up easily. I like "occupied rows" but not everyone gets that either. I'll yell at logress to make sure he clarifies that a bit better. Let me know if you still have any questions about it though.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:04 pm

lupos wrote:
DanTheTimid wrote: So then why in the FAQ example can't a range 3 unit hit an opponent unit in the back row?

It can, trick is this is apparently a difficult concept to sum up easily. I like "occupied rows" but not everyone gets that either. I'll yell at logress to make sure he clarifies that a bit better. Let me know if you still have any questions about it though.

Ok well I think I fully grasp the way range works now, thank you for your trouble. I do suggest though that the FAQ question be changed to "Why can my range 1 unit attack his unit in the back row" because it better illustrates what I think that point is getting at, that a row only counts for range if its occupied.
DanTheTimid

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom