Read manga after anime?

Anime and Manga

Read manga after anime?

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:11 pm

So here is a quick list of most of the anime series I've seen this past year. I've heard that with a bunch of these, the manga either go on longer, or are totally different than the anime. Just wondering, are any of these mangas worth reading if you've already seen the animated version? I'm tempted to read some of them, but worry it would be a huge waste of time.

Darker than Black
D. Gray-man
Berserk
Ergo Proxy
Black Lagoon
Fate Stay Night
Elfen Lied
Full Metal Alchemist
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Read manga after anime?

Postby DWildstar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Haven't seen most of these, but Berserk is the most obvious one because the anime ends abruptly around volume 12 of the manga, so to get the rest of the story (or the rest of that scene for that matter) you should read the manga. I still haven't had time to get around to it but it's definitely on my list.

Only other one I can comment on is Full Metal Alchemist because it depends on which one you watched. FMA: Brotherhood follows the manga whereas the original series branched off with its own story because there wasn't enough manga to adapt.

Oh and that reminds me there's more Black Lagoon that's going to be animated, w00t!
DWildstar

Postby genj1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm

I'd say go with D.Gray-man, Berserk, Elfen Lied, and FMA. Keep in mind that some of the arcs have already been animated, but since the anime was adapted while the manga was still running, the story will extend past what was shown in the anime, and in the case of Elfen Lied, the ending is significantly different. For Fate/Stay Night, I'd recommend going to the VN than the manga.
genj1

Postby Arakis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm

A big yes to Berserk. I've sometimes felt that, though the anime is good, its main purpose is to serve as an advertisement that wants you to do one thing: read the manga.

I would have to say Hellsing falls into this category as well, or at least it did before the Ultimate OVAs. I've only seen the first one of those, but from what I hear they're quite true to the manga (which has now ended).
Arakis

Postby Peralisc2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Darker than Black - i didn't see any comments on a difference between anime and manga and although i like the anime really much i can't be bothered with checking the manga
D. Gray-man - didn't notice any difference yet but i think the manga still goes on. I didn't complete the manga yet.
Berserk - the manga you should read right from the start, it even start different than the anime -.-
Ergo Proxy - ahm no idea, but can't be bothered to check
Black Lagoon - don't like this
Fate Stay Night - i didn't find ANYWHERE a way to read the manga
Elfen Lied - didn't notice any difference at all. Watch the special episodes from the series, it's like reading the equivalents of the specials from the manga.
Full Metal Alchemist - brotherhood follows the manga, i hate the ending and the plot of this variant and don't recommend you wasting time with it unless you are a huge FMA fetishist.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby animefreak99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 pm

fate stay night manga can be found here...
http://www.onemanga.com/Fate-Stay_Night/

as for how it differ i have no idea.
animefreak99

Postby Zanador » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 am

Most of the time i either read the manga or watch the anime, exactly because there can be huge differences, so the only ones i know about on this list are Elfen Lied and FSN.
Elfen lied's manga's story is about 3 times as long as the anime, but its finished. It seemed like both are good, but the manga has a lot less of those small mistakes, and lot less blood too actually.
Of Fate/Stay Night, like genji, i'd also rather recommend the visual novel rather than the manga. The anime was a little bit too hurried, i guess even 26 episodes were too short for this story, and while the manga is a lot more detailed, it follows a different storyline. On the positive side, this time unlike the other mentioned mangas/animes, these are both original storylines, so its worth reading, but the visual novel is just so much better than the two of them together.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby Ginnazoh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 am

FSN -
fate stay night I'd definitely recommend the visual novel. I never read the manga since for the longest time onemanga didn't have it available due to licensing rights although it seems they have it now.
The visual novel of FSN gives you a lot more story and character info, as well as the other 2 possible scenarios (both of which I like more than the Fate route, which is the scenario/route they used for anime).

Elfen Lied -
I thought Elfen Lied's anime and manga was noticeably different. I never watched the special episodes as I only saw the 13 episodes so I definitely recommend reading the manga. I personally enjoyed the manga more simply because I felt it was more complete.

FMA -
Like others have said, the original FMA and the manga were different stories. The FMA Brotherhood series of anime is the one thats the same as manga. I stopped watching the FMA anime after the original series so I can't comment on the FMA Brotherhood series.

DGrayman-
I didn't notice MAJOR difference between anime and manga in the episodes i watched, granted I only watched the first 30 or so anime episodes. Personally I just follow the manga since it was further ahead in the plot and the manga did cover more details than anime.

the rest of the shows on your list I have never watched so I cant comment
Ginnazoh

Postby kronoCore » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 pm

I always read the manga, is the author vision of the story.
Not to mention that the anime adaptations sometimes are crap (Air Gear) or sometimes they don´t stick to the original sory (Shaman King, FMA, not to mention the fill chapters of Naruto and now Fairy Tail).

The only series that I watch happy are those that havn´t had a manga before or present the elements of it with a new and awesome style (Samurai Champloo, Kiba)
kronoCore

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy