Need: Good RPG Recommendations

Video Games

Re: Need: Good RPG Recommendations

Postby Eladin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Artist wrote:we just come here to troll.

you and i perhaps, but i'm sure Ginnazoh appreciated all the suggestions regardless. :)

Artist wrote:everything about 太閤立志伝

that actually sounds really cool. i'll have to tell my brother about it, since we spent a ton of time back when i was younger playing Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness...good times.
...also a Koei game...i think. (and yeah, i agree, Dynasty Warriors kinda sucks...unless you're uber bored and just want to mindlessly hack and slash stuff with a friend.)

...i'm suddenly drawing a complete blank on all the japanese RPGs i played on an emulator from so long ago...
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby harvest4god » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm

I will borrow this topic. Need RPG's for PSP. I have crisis core, ark of nasp...long name, and kingdom of paradise. needmore...lots more. And I will be getting Kingdom Hearts once it comes out.
harvest4god

Postby Phenoca » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Princess:

Description: Link gone insane... INSANE!!

Mario RPG:

Description: The best array of puns in any RPG, ever.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby Ginnazoh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 am

@harvest
for the psp i would definitely recommend valkyrie profile (i believe they remade it for psp) and final fantasy tactics: lions war or something..i dont remember the text after the colon. both are great games in my opinion and I finished both on the ps1 multiple times.

@artist
yea Ive heard of many chinese games but the only two series I actually have and played are 風色幻想 and 仙剑.

I totally agree that 仙剑 1 was a classic (except for the fact that it crashes a lot on vista and xp ... at least my copy of 新仙剑奇侠传1 does). The game pretty much set the bar for chinese rpgs for me but that maybe because I haven't played 軒轅劍 yet. 2 was still enjoyable although I am slightly biased towards it since I played it first, but it was definitely less impressive and epic than 1. 3 just made me felt like I spent the entire game running around a mountain and the fact that they went with the 3d graphics disappointed me greatly since the polygons were so obvious. 4 I never played.

I only watched the drama for the first game mainly because they had 刘亦菲 in it and my expectation for dramas based on video games (non visual novels at least) are very low. I might check out the other drama in that series but I personally would rather watch dramas like 倚天屠龙记,神雕侠侣,射雕英雄传,天龙八部,纪晓岚,etc. Yes I know the last one is completely different from the previous ones I listed but I love that series xD.

I checked out some videos of both 軒轅劍 and 太閤立志伝, and I think i will definitely check both games out this summer. they both look quite fun.

太閤立志伝 reminds me a lot of ROTK (Romance of the Three Kingdoms) from the screenshots I've seen. I'm looking forward to this game just for the betrayal/burning at honnoji. To me there was always one event that really stands out for historical time periods, in 三国 it was 赤壁 and for sengoku it was the betrayal at honnoji by akechi mistuhide (明智 光秀).

Although I'm tempted to see what they do with the game after the death of hideyoshi and when tokugawa ieyasu (徳川 家康) becames the next ruler...I'd love to play a game following ieyasu's point of view, especially the battle of sekigahara (關ヶ原の戰ひ).

And yea pretty much everything you typed can be learned at wikipedia if you just search up that time period...it seems that the game is sticking pretty/semi-true to actual events, like most Koei games that claim to be historical.

lastly, wow I just realized how rusty my chinese has gotten when I was looking through chinese websites for info on those two games...I really need to play another chinese game or read some chinese novel or watch some chinese drama or something to touch up on my chinese again..lol
Ginnazoh

Postby Artist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Ginnazoh wrote:@artist
yea Ive heard of many chinese games but the only two series I actually have and played are 風色幻想 and 仙剑.

I totally agree that 仙剑 1 was a classic (except for the fact that it crashes a lot on vista and xp ... at least my copy of 新仙剑奇侠传1 does). The game pretty much set the bar for chinese rpgs for me but that maybe because I haven't played 軒轅劍 yet. 2 was still enjoyable although I am slightly biased towards it since I played it first, but it was definitely less impressive and epic than 1. 3 just made me felt like I spent the entire game running around a mountain and the fact that they went with the 3d graphics disappointed me greatly since the polygons were so obvious. 4 I never played.

I only watched the drama for the first game mainly because they had 刘亦菲 in it and my expectation for dramas based on video games (non visual novels at least) are very low. I might check out the other drama in that series but I personally would rather watch dramas like 倚天屠龙记,神雕侠侣,射雕英雄传,天龙八部,纪晓岚,etc. Yes I know the last one is completely different from the previous ones I listed but I love that series xD.

I checked out some videos of both 軒轅劍 and 太閤立志伝, and I think i will definitely check both games out this summer. they both look quite fun.

太閤立志伝 reminds me a lot of ROTK (Romance of the Three Kingdoms) from the screenshots I've seen. I'm looking forward to this game just for the betrayal/burning at honnoji. To me there was always one event that really stands out for historical time periods, in 三国 it was 赤壁 and for sengoku it was the betrayal at honnoji by akechi mistuhide (明智 光秀).

Although I'm tempted to see what they do with the game after the death of hideyoshi and when tokugawa ieyasu (徳川 家康) becames the next ruler...I'd love to play a game following ieyasu's point of view, especially the battle of sekigahara (關ヶ原の戰ひ).

And yea pretty much everything you typed can be learned at wikipedia if you just search up that time period...it seems that the game is sticking pretty/semi-true to actual events, like most Koei games that claim to be historical.

lastly, wow I just realized how rusty my chinese has gotten when I was looking through chinese websites for info on those two games...I really need to play another chinese game or read some chinese novel or watch some chinese drama or something to touch up on my chinese again..lol

T_T Will you marry me?
lol jk, anyways let's start responding to this post now.

What you said about 仙剑totally holds true, I bet in many people's eyes. 仙剑 2 isn't bad actually, it's just from a literary standpoint, the plot deviates so much to make it not as epic. (仙剑1 was about the lineage of the ancient creator of humans and countless other stories from Chinese mythology, whereas 仙剑 2 was just a bunch of made up generic RPG stories.) 仙剑3 is just one huge joke as a videogame really. The super broken controls screwed it up (like how if you're running across a bridge, and if you touch the sides, all of a sudden you'd start moonwalking backwards lol), and the graphics were no where near as good as FF7 while made nearly 5-6 years later? The 1st TV show I felt it was very forced, and not really up to par to the game, but I guess it still held some good scenes really.

And who wouldn't want to watch her?

Those dramas based on Jin Yong's novels are really well done too. I've watched all of them too, and also read some books. They tend to produce a lot of very nicely done RPG games as well due to the excellent plots, however there's nothing quite on par with what we're talking about here really, and all the best ones tend to be quite old, like for MS-DOS. My favorite of all his novels will have to be 笑傲江湖, just for its development of morbidly demonic characters lol.

About 太閤立志伝, in the later parts of the game, it feels a lot like Romance of the three kingdoms. However, it really isn't like it. Throughout the whole game, you take control of only 1 person, and not everyone listen to you. Your character literally walks around from city to towns and meet people, just like in a rpg. Your character also develop relationships with other individual characters by having tea together or giving them gifts, or just simply visiting and chatting with people. In the beginning of the game especially, you will control no territories at all, and if Oda drags you to go fight somewhere, you can't say no and you just have to go along. The game puts you into the shoes of a lowly commander, and that feeling where you have to compete with others to earn the leader's trust, but you still really have no free will over what's going on in the world. Slowly you'd make more friends and also earn more trust to get promoted. Toyotomi starts getting people like 蜂须贺小六 (蜂须贺正胜), 竹中半兵卫 (竹中重治), 黑田官兵卫 (黑田孝高) and of course, his half brother 木下小一郎 (丰臣秀长). After a while you start building your own little troops, and earn enough trust, Oda will give you some cities to defend, and you will start to have your own territory, however you'll still be under Oda's total control, unless if you turn against him that is, which is probably not a good idea lol. But Oda gets killed, giant plot twist. You decide to go after the killer and basically make yourself king by recommending Oda's 3rd son as the leader, who's still very young at the time. Of course, people like Shibata Katsuie would not agree, and you all just end up having a huge war, with hideoshi (hopefully) killing everyone else, and becoming the Taiko of Japan (assistant to a child emperor before his coming of age). As far as story goes, the game ends with Hideoyoshi uniting Japan. There's actually very little about Ieyasu sadly since the game pretty much ends at around 1592ish. There's over thousands of characters in the game all based on actual historical people, and the best part of the game is that you can clear every single one of these characters, and on a different playthrough, you can play as those characters. So of course, if you want to see the whole thing through Ieyasu's point of view, just play as him, and you'll have his entire story line. Fighting is actually not everything in this game. You can play the game as a swordmaster, ninja, merchant, or seaman as well, and you'll have a totally different gameplay by doing so, yet it's still the same setting and environment. The game actually gives you an option of making your own original character, and start off as a random person from the streets during that time period, and you can do whatever you want with yourself, becoming the largest merchant in Japan, or maybe becoming a warlord to fight against Hideyoshi.

All in all, 太閤立志伝 5 (which is the newest version) is my favorite game of all time, no questions asked. It is a perfect incorporation of history, tactics and RPG. There's no games out there that could be more fun and educational from my perspective. I've learned so much from the game not only about Japanese history and culture, but also by taking the roles of some of the greatest people in Japan, I learned their own values and their views on life. If you read Japanese or Chinese at all, I would say this game is a must play for anyone.

Oh and did I mention the game as awesome music and art? Maybe I should. It does.
Artist

Postby Ginnazoh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 pm

a large part of me feels like 仙剑2 is just feeding off the popularity of 1 plot wise at least. the good thing is that the game play wasn't all that bad and was in general a nice game...although I actually liked 2 mainly because I felt there was more dungeons and exploring in that game than 1 while not being absolutely boring and tedious like 3 (yea I have nothing else to say about 3 other than the ugly graphics turned me off almost immediately and that I still can not get over the fact I keep having to run around the darn mountain).

Also, 刘亦菲 was 小龙女 in the newest 神雕侠侣...and I wish she could act. I would like her so much more if she had some semi decent acting skill, which is probably why my favorite drama based on 金庸 novels is 倚天屠龙记, the one with 苏有朋 and 贾静雯 (of course having 张国立,张铁林 and 王刚 is just an added bonus as these 3 guys are just golden) since most of the acting in this show is half decent. Although I do agree that 笑傲江湖 probably had the most demonically morbid albeit messed up antagonists in any of his novel...and 葵花宝典 is just a messed up technique while 东方不败 leaves me speechless.

Haha I must admit I am not used to seeing their names in all kanji. It took me a while to figure out who they were and now I'm even more excited to check out the game. I have to wait a few more months though. Have to wait until my finals are done before I get into any RPGs since I know once I start, I won't be doing much of anything else until I'm finished.

Hmm I'm hoping one of my friends back home has all of these games...or else i'm going to have to somehow get my hands on them and I probably won't be flying back to China for a while...emule going to be my new best friend soon i think >.>

Now that you mention the fact you can play as merchants, ninjas and etc. I think I heard one of my friends talking about such a game. I hope he's talking about the same game so I can just "borrow" it from him xD

One character I'm really excited about and would definitely play through when I get 太閤立志伝 (so I hope he's in the game) is Maeda Toshimasu (前田利益) aka Maeda Keiji (前田慶次) aka Keijiro (慶次郎)...He seems to one both well versed in literature and art as well as being a force on the battlefield, thus greatly reminding me of 关羽, who is one of my favorite characters from 三国 although there are a plethora of individuals from that time period who I really like including 诸葛亮,赵云,周瑜,郭嘉,張遼,司馬昭,姜維 and many others. Likewise there are many from the Sengoku era who I really like including Yukimura Sanada, Hattori Hanzo, Tokugawa Ieyasu and more.

Although now that I've brought up the topic of 三国 I can't resist to comment on the fact that i really do not like the rather brutish depiction of 吕布 in 三國演義...

I wish my chinese typing thing would stop cycling between traditional and simplified font...I really hope you can read both as everytime I change between chinese to english it seems it changes between simplified and traditional...sigh
Ginnazoh

Postby Artist » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Ginnazoh wrote:a large part of me feels like 仙剑2 is just feeding off the popularity of 1 plot wise at least. the good thing is that the game play wasn't all that bad and was in general a nice game...although I actually liked 2 mainly because I felt there was more dungeons and exploring in that game than 1 while not being absolutely boring and tedious like 3 (yea I have nothing else to say about 3 other than the ugly graphics turned me off almost immediately and that I still can not get over the fact I keep having to run around the darn mountain).

Also, 刘亦菲 was 小龙女 in the newest 神雕侠侣...and I wish she could act. I would like her so much more if she had some semi decent acting skill, which is probably why my favorite drama based on 金庸 novels is 倚天屠龙记, the one with 苏有朋 and 贾静雯 (of course having 张国立,张铁林 and 王刚 is just an added bonus as these 3 guys are just golden) since most of the acting in this show is half decent. Although I do agree that 笑傲江湖 probably had the most demonically morbid albeit messed up antagonists in any of his novel...and 葵花宝典 is just a messed up technique while 东方不败 leaves me speechless.

Haha I must admit I am not used to seeing their names in all kanji. It took me a while to figure out who they were and now I'm even more excited to check out the game. I have to wait a few more months though. Have to wait until my finals are done before I get into any RPGs since I know once I start, I won't be doing much of anything else until I'm finished.

Hmm I'm hoping one of my friends back home has all of these games...or else i'm going to have to somehow get my hands on them and I probably won't be flying back to China for a while...emule going to be my new best friend soon i think >.>

Now that you mention the fact you can play as merchants, ninjas and etc. I think I heard one of my friends talking about such a game. I hope he's talking about the same game so I can just "borrow" it from him xD

One character I'm really excited about and would definitely play through when I get 太閤立志伝 (so I hope he's in the game) is Maeda Toshimasu (前田利益) aka Maeda Keiji (前田慶次) aka Keijiro (慶次郎)...He seems to one both well versed in literature and art as well as being a force on the battlefield, thus greatly reminding me of 关羽, who is one of my favorite characters from 三国 although there are a plethora of individuals from that time period who I really like including 诸葛亮,赵云,周瑜,郭嘉,張遼,司馬昭,姜維 and many others. Likewise there are many from the Sengoku era who I really like including Yukimura Sanada, Hattori Hanzo, Tokugawa Ieyasu and more.

Although now that I've brought up the topic of 三国 I can't resist to comment on the fact that i really do not like the rather brutish depiction of 吕布 in 三國演義...

I wish my chinese typing thing would stop cycling between traditional and simplified font...I really hope you can read both as everytime I change between chinese to english it seems it changes between simplified and traditional...sigh

lol sorry if we're starting to go off topic here but seeing how you started talking about san guo, I cannot resist but to comment on it. I'm a huge sanguo fan.

诸葛亮,赵云,周瑜, all pretty common characters to like. But then again I think there's really not much choice but to like some of these people. I personally like 曹操, 陈登,荀彧, 马超, a few more interesting people I think, cao cao especially I feel like I can connect with him a lot of the times. Some other notible people such as 袁绍,孙策,陈宫, I really like as well due to their passion and distinct personalities. Wow I just realized I can talk like forever with you about all kinds of different topics actually, but I still need to go finish my work real fast. I'll probably extend on this post tomorrow and finish it up.

This is the portrait of 前田慶次 from Taiko 5,

Did I mention that the graphics are amazing? I'll post the other guys you mentioned here just to give you a feel about the game. Gotta love that history summary of all the characters too, it's just great.
Artist

Postby Ginnazoh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:20 am

I think the thing with some of the more popular characters is that they got a lot more attention in literature so we know more about them then others and its easier to like people who you are more familiar with then those who are kind of just there.

haha yea I haven't had time to visit the forums as often since i've been spending too much time studying and playing league of legends...lol

but yea if you havent noticed, I am a huge sanguo fan as well and I can go on for a long long time just talking about that subject..

hehe and I agree those character pics and stuff are quite stunning. I am getting more and more excited about this game :D hehe I also can't wait to see some of the profiles of my more liked sengoku chars :D

i think at some point i'm going to be mixing up sangoku and sengoku >.>
Ginnazoh

Postby Johnjo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Played tons of rpg's and didnt see these ones in former posts. I usually play only rpg's for the storyline and these were ones that got stuck in my mind.

Lufia 2 "rise of the sinistrals" which is the snes version, there is a remake of it on the ds with a different subtitle, havent played that one, but the snes version is the traditional turn based combat system and ds version is real time.

bioshock 2 great story tough a bit short
Johnjo

Postby fargone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Also, since you have mentioned some very old games there, some of the Might and Magic rpgs (note rpg's not strat games) were also quite enjoyable back in the day.

Any of the old TSR D&D games were good, TSR even made a Buck Rogers rpg using the same game system, which was also great fun.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room