Monster

Anime and Manga

Monster

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 am

Just finished watching Monster. I got completely obsessed with it and it's definitely one of the top 5 series I've seen so far. The ending was a little ambiguous though... I did some googling and couldn't really find any discussions about it. Just wondering if anyone else watched it and wanted to talk about some of the things that happened in it.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Monster

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 am

I wonder what you liked about the show ... It gotten like LOST, sort of a meaningless chase from the looks of it.

Is there something i overlooked?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Gota » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 pm

I watched a majority of it and then lost interest, I think I have like 5 episodes left to finishing it. It just didn't really give me the drive to finish it..... and its been what.. 3-4 years and I still havent finish it. Maybe I'll try to soon..
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Romdeau » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 am

Gota wrote:I watched a majority of it and then lost interest, I think I have like 5 episodes left to finishing it. It just didn't really give me the drive to finish it..... and its been what.. 3-4 years and I still havent finish it. Maybe I'll try to soon..

Are you kidding me, the last 5 episodes-I couldn't stop watching lol
Romdeau

Postby Gota » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 am

honestly i don't even know exactly how many episodes i have left, it might be 10, 5, 6, 8, 7. I really gotta go find out if i am to finish it lol.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 am

Peralisc2 wrote:I wonder what you liked about the show ... It gotten like LOST, sort of a meaningless chase from the looks of it. Is there something i overlooked?

To each his own. I love lost btw. Only non-anime show I watch actually!

So for monster... I was amazed by every part of it... On the production side, I loved the music, the way they had the camera angles, and that eerie feeling of paranoia you got from watching it. It's certainly not flashy, no bankai, no big swords, it's a psychological thriller and I was psychologically thrilled.

I thought Johann was one of the most interesting villians I've seen in an anime. Just the way he conducted himself, his whole deal with being a monster, how he was "created" (what did they do to him anyway that made him the way he was?), his uncanny ability to "release" people from their senses of moral obligations (a lot of the murderers said that Johann 'set them free' - slight parallel with Crime & Punishment by Dostoevky about being 'above the law binding man').. Hmm... In a bunch of cases, it gave the impression that we all live these fragile lives based on 'truths' we tell ourselves to get through the day, Johann had an uncanny ability to force you to confront your inner demons and shatter your whole world.

Hrrmmmm other random things... Why did Johann become evil yet Anna stayed good, even though it was Anna who was taken to the mansion? What was the 'monster' that entered Johann? Was it just making him believe he had a monster inside that turned him evil? Surely we are not all created equal, yet in many cases we have to be treated equally. What was the deal with his 'perfect suicide'? Lots of stuff about us only existing if other people know of us. Your name may be perlisc2, but if you exist to no one do you really exist?

I don't know I was just obsessed with it. Sorry for all the randomness I just wrote whatever came to mind.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Romdeau » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 am

It's been a while since I last watched it, but GonFreeces just presented a solid case to your question Peralisc.
Romdeau

Postby DWildstar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 am

I was watching Monster as it was being fansubbed and I also can attest to its quality! The first episodes really hooked me in, but I can admit the show can be a slow burn at times.

It's not a junk food watch-anytime anime, but it's very rewarding to watch, especially if you like thriller mystery stories. I think most anime fans probably don't have the attention span for something like Monster, but if you're looking for a show with nuanced characters and a compelling story about difficult moral choices then definitely go for it!
DWildstar

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:01 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:I don't know I was just obsessed with it. Sorry for all the randomness I just wrote whatever came to mind.

No need to be sorry. I asked what you are thinking about the show and you answered.

I liked LOST a lot up to the end of season 3. It's also my only non-anime show i currently watch, i am sick and tired of the hollywood movies generally. But i am watching it now just to laugh at some imo ridiculous moments. (know when they put Said under water and then said: your friend is dead ... damn, i couldn't stop laughing for minutes at that part ... oh and the japanese guy using a translator because "english dosn't taste well on his tongue" :lol: )
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Demongod » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:05 am

DWildstar wrote:I was watching Monster as it was being fansubbed and I also can attest to its quality! The first episodes really hooked me in, but I can admit the show can be a slow burn at times.

It's not a junk food watch-anytime anime, but it's very rewarding to watch, especially if you like thriller mystery stories. I think most anime fans probably don't have the attention span for something like Monster, but if you're looking for a show with nuanced characters and a compelling story about difficult moral choices then definitely go for it!

Sounds a lot like the Song of Ice and Fire novel series.

I threw Game of Thrones against the wall on page 269 because it just got so damn boring and nobody ever did anything, just stood around and talked, aside from the time the kid got tossed out the window (and then anticlimactically just splatted on the ground instead of doing something cool).

But I digress...

Look, an anime doesn't need kamehamehas and beam spam every few seconds. But it does need something that holds people's attention.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Next

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy