Berserk-Manga and Anime

Anime and Manga

Re: Berserk-Manga and Anime

Postby Romdeau » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:28 pm

I have a pretty solid grip on what happened. Gutts was truly Griffith's one and only friend-he didn't realize how dearly he valued him until he was gone. In a totally depressed state, he seeks pleasure / mind numbing by having sexy time with the Princess. His judgment is totally out of whack because Gutts' decision hit him so hard. As Griffith says before he decides to sacrifice the Band of the Hawk in the Eclipse "You're (Gutts) the only one who made me forget my dream..."

I think that is a very powerful statement and sums up why it went the way it went.
Romdeau

Postby Arakis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Well said, Rom. That's the other aspect I neglected to touch on. One of the greatest ironies of Berserk is Guts' habit of abandoning what he has in order to go find what he figures could be his destiny. Then he looks back and realizes what he had in the first place wasn't so bad after all (but it's too late).

Griffith made a speech, to Charlotte, no less, about how he views true friendship. Guts wanted Griffith's approval, and above that, his sincere friendship. I think what Guts failed to realize was that by the time he chose to leave the band, he was already Griffith's best friend. Instead of seeing that, he clung to the idea Griffith had put in his head and struck out on his own. In so doing, he devastated Griffith. Maybe Griffith only realized at that point how important a friend Guts was to him, and as Rom said, he sought solace/escape in the arms of Charlotte. I love the sequence, just after the lovemaking, of him rubbing his bruised shoulder from where Guts nearly hacked him in half earlier that day. He just kind of curls up into the fetal position and reflects upon how empty his life suddenly seems. That one image says so much.

Guts and Griffith had the potential to really affect each other in a positive way had Guts only stuck around. Maybe Griffith would have realized he didn't need to be so cutthroat to get what he wanted. But when Guts left, he started a chain of events that spiraled further and further out of control, finally culminating in the Eclipse. I don't think it's any coincidence that Skully first appeared before Guts right after he left the group. It's amazing just how much the two main characters of this story influence each other whether they want to or not.
Last edited by Arakis on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arakis

Postby Spears » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Was thinking that crest greatsword seemed familiar then i read his action skill, i like.
Spears

Postby Arakis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Yup, he'll be a must-include in that future Berserk file.
Arakis

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm sure some of you may have already heard this-but who else is super excited for the new Berserk anime that is in the works?! I'm so curious to find out more about the production! :D
Romdeau

Postby Arakis » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Now that it does seem to be a real deal, I'm quite excited about it too. The big question I have is whether it's going to build on the original anime, or be a reboot of some kind. I think I'd prefer the latter, ala Hellsing Ultimate. Funding might be a key issue there, though.

Volume 35 (in Japanese) is out now, too. Got to get myself a copy soon...
Arakis

Postby Romdeau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm

So, who else is excited for the upcoming anime that's currently in production? Honestly, it came as quite a shock to me when I first about it...just goes to show me that anything's possible when it comes to the anime industry.
Romdeau

Postby LoneKnight » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:01 pm

It'll be a real breath of fresh air after all the moe stuff that gets made into anime nowdays.

Are there any trailers out? I haven't heard any news ever since the announcement that there's going to be one.
LoneKnight

Postby Romdeau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:41 pm

The first of many movies in the series has been translated and released. Finished watching it today and I was not disappointed. A tad rushed, but that's to be expected in a movie format covering such a large amount of material.
Romdeau

Postby wakka9ca » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Romdeau wrote:The first of many movies in the series has been translated and released. Finished watching it today and I was not disappointed. A tad rushed, but that's to be expected in a movie format covering such a large amount of material.

Yeah. Although some of its CGI could have been better. Oh well. I'm happy with it.
wakka9ca

Previous

Return to DeFau's Den of Infamy