Card viewer

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Card viewer

Postby Artist » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:01 pm

You are a genius sir. GMs should really put this function on the official site. It's just so useful, please. IMO single one most useful contribution from players to Alteil staff yet.

Huge props.
Artist

Postby evit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:38 am

GENIUS

Thank you so much... :D
evit

Postby LoneKnight » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 am

On account of now being pinned, moved the 2nd version into the first post. Maybe I'll make it look more professional later.

The GMs can easily add it by putting the second one in a link in the card list frame. I'm kinda wondering if they are allowed to change the main site though...

Anyway, keep the feedback coming, as in my experience, everyone scrolls over pinned topics unless they are active. I know I do it. Spread the word and stuff. I finally got something to put in my sig, lol.
LoneKnight

Postby Multi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 am

The GMs make the main site. It's why it looks vastly different from jp and why it's largely defunct and outdated.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Noria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

coolest thing ever, you even put them into rarity/sphere order O_o great work there, very handy
Noria

Postby harvest4god » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I bow before you at the monotony it must of took to complete this. you're awesome .
harvest4god

Postby LoneKnight » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Guys.

When I say "OVER 9000 HOURS IN NOTEPAD", I mean "10 minutes, and I was watching TV while doing it". The code is literally 3 lines long for the first and about 5 for the second.

Which is why I don't get why I had to do this, and why didn't someone beat me to it during the last 6 sets.
LoneKnight

Postby Otonashi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Laziness mostly. :P I had been musing about making a card viewer for awhile now, but never got around to it. Although, I guess it would be a good time killer.

One thing I wanted to ask though, would it be easier to have it on a web page, or have it as a downloadable .exe (Wouldn't need an internet connection or downloading images/data every time, but means a lot more work for me)?
Otonashi

Postby LoneKnight » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm

The way the first one works is that it's a web page that grabs the card popups from X to Y and then displays them in the same page using iframes. It's using PHP so you need a server with PHP to run it on (there are a bunch of free hosts so this is no prob).

The second one is just javascript that swaps the stats out on the site with the popups, once again, using iframes.

Making an exe is too much work, and means the user would have to download it. Making a site and just hosting it is much easier.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll go and do just that. Brb, version 3 coming in 10 minutes.

EDIT: blargh forgot I can't access my host from here :P
LoneKnight

Postby Otonashi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Well, either the user downloads the program once, or the user downloads all of the images and text from a website every time he wants to use it. Although, it is more work for the programmer yes. Mostly just filling out the card database in a format that will work with the program, and then I'd need all of the images saved somewhere too, and I don't know if that's allowed because of copyright crap and such. I can easily get it to read from a text file, and then make somebody help me fill it out that way...

But yeah. Website easier. When it comes to the images and stats, anyways, but not really if you want sorting and such.
Otonashi

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion